Saturday, June 05, 2010

Why I Read Aloud to my Tween

When I'm reading aloud to my tween I'm not yelling, I'm not judging, I'm not criticizing. I'm not distracted by the computer. When I'm reading aloud to my tween, she's not complaining, or arguing, or texting, or watching TV or pestering her brother.

I think more than most anything I do or say to her these days, reading aloud shows her that I love her. It's a habit that we've always had, but it had fallen by the wayside. In the last year, we've both been recommitted to it, and almost always have a read-aloud book going, which I read to her in bits and pieces -- a few pages at bedtime, a chapter while she's cleaning her room, half a chapter while she's eating her breakfast before school.

We recently read Tortilla Sun, a middle grade/YA novel full of magical realism and lyrical writing. Read my full review at 5 Minutes for Books and enter to win a copy for yourself that I hope you'll choose to read aloud to your child, age 10 and up.



2 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Such a great perspective on this, Jennifer! JAM and I don't do it as often as you guys, but I do enjoy having that connection with him (that is actually positive!). We've put Tom Sawyer on hold until baseball season is over, because we weren't finding any quiet time at all to read!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Love this post! C. and I pretty much abandoned reading aloud together during the school year, but started afresh today and it was so nice.