Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Make My Bed Everyday -- and other surprising facts

Yes, every day I make my bed. It might not be seconds after my feet hit the floor. In fact, it's often after I've been downstairs to attend to my kids' morning needs, but when I return to my room and see that spread pulled back and an open bed, a need for order kicks in. I pull up the simple plum quilt and add the decorative pillow shams.

Making a bed seems like an ordinary feat. Why is it surprising? Those who have visited my home are not asking that question. It's surprising because the need for order does not often kick in. The shelf that holds my plastic leftovers containers is usually in disarray (unless my genuinely orderly husband has gotten to it). If you open other cabinets, such as the linen closet or the bowls/muffin tins/pots and pans cabinet, something just might fall out.

To me, the everyday-bed-maker is one whose kitchen floors are always swept and clean clothes are always put away (as opposed to stacked on the dresser, or heaped on the guest bed, waiting to be folded).

I promised other surprising facts as well, so here goes:

  1. I have no qualms about using public restrooms. None at all. I'm not sure that I've ever met someone less concerned about it. It's a bathroom. The backs of my legs are touching the seat. Germs do not enter via the backs of my legs. And that brings me to a rant I have. If you are so germaphobic as to squat when you go in a public restroom, remember the mantra that we are all trying to teach our little boys: "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat."

    One time I was in line, and so I was entering the stall as a woman was leaving it. "It doesn't seem to be flushing," she said. "Did you try to do it manually?" I asked, which is what I would do if the automatic sensor didn't kick in. She sort of looked at my like I was crazy, and then did what all good germaphobes do -- she used her foot to flush. I mean, seriously, she would rather NOT flush and leave her pee out there for all the world to enjoy? Just because she won't touch the flusher??

  2. I love vegetarian food. Again, this is surprising because I'm not a health nut. I also love pepperoni pizza and a good cheeseburger (or a bad McDonald's cheeseburger for that matter). But if I'm at a restaurant, I frequently select the vegetarian option. It's delicious.

  3. I don't have a smartphone. I'm sure that many of you reading this can pipe in "me, too!" It's not that surprising or unusual, but it's becoming increasingly more so. What might be genuinely shocking is my admission that I have a very very simple and old Nokia 1100 phone. I didn't even have a phone at all until the 21st century when I was over 30 years old.

  4. Along the luddite lines, I still use an address book. I'm sure that there are much more efficient ways to catalog all your addresses and phone numbers, but I go to the trusty address book I've been using since college. If I'm writing down someone's phone number, perhaps if we are meeting for a playdate, I usually put it in my calendar (also a real live spiral notebook, the indispensable BusyBodyBook). Because I think, "Do I really need this acquaintance's phone number saved in my cell phone forever?"
Maybe these things aren't so unusual. Let me know.

What was my most surprising admission? What is it about you that wildly diverges from "normal" behavior, or from what your friends expect of you?

9 comments:

Carrie said...

LOL!

Well. I DON"T make my bed every day. (Since our bedroom is off the main living area, I have to remember to do this before company comes.) My philosophy is, "You're just going to mess it up again!!"

Which is bad, I know, but it also makes sense. ;) (I think most of my lax housekeeping "skills" come as a result of my mom being so on top of things and insisting on chores to keep things clean ALL THE TIME. It's kinda like eating a salad with pizza. I don't do that anymore either because no one can make me. What I am teaching my own children about this no one can say.....

Public restrooms are disgusting. I use my foot to flush also. ;D

Lee @ foodieplus4 said...

What about your disco skills?

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Carrie--
I love salad with pizza, so add that to weird list.

Lee--
Absolutely. I have mad disco skillz.

Martha said...

I do make my bed. I don't care about bathrooms either (might be the community bathroom we shared in college). I have a more updated phone but don't pay for the internet so I might as well have your phone. I don't use an address book but I do have a rolodex. I am not the neatest either but would love to be...I am just tired of fighting the rest of the family to join.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I make my bed most days but can't tell you the last time I mopped my kitchen floor. I have no problems with public restrooms and could not agree more about the people who PEE on the SEAT! That is gross people. Just gross. My phone is a simple Motorola. No camera. In internet. And I've never texted.

Don't you love the way Carrie blamed her mom for stuff? I wonder what her boys will blame on her. ;)

morninglight mama said...

Okay, I loved loved loved this post. And, it's made me want to meet you in person even more than before! (We could eat a salad with some pizza, and then go into a public restroom and NOT pee all over the seats.) Woo-hoo! :)

Jen Rouse said...

I am the same way about public restrooms. As long as it's not visibly dirty--what's the big deal? Why all the panic people have about them? Wash your hands and get on with your life!

planetnomad said...

I, too, make my bed every day. Every. Single. Day. Because if for some reason I don't, I will make it right before I get into it, because I don't like messy sheets. OCD? Not really, because the rest of my housekeeping is casual.
ANd I get a little impatient with people going on about public restrooms, since I've lived in Africa. ;)
So yes, I'd love to go get veggie pizza (the best! I love vegetarian food too, and bacon!) and salad with you sometime.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I'm right there with you on making the bed every day (though I HAVE to do it before I go downstairs), but yet not being much of a sweeper, mopper, or clothes-putting-away-er. You know I'm a simple cell-phone girl too (though I know own a FLIP-phone, so maybe I'm one step ahead of you there). :) I didn't know about your vegetarian tendencies, though. I am a fan of a good bacon cheeseburger when I go out, though I try to restrain myself at times.