Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Nightstand -- July



The first exciting bit of news is that I have a new nightstand! No, my actual "nightstand" (a cedar chest which my grandparents had made for me by a distant relative for graduation) is still beside my bed holding an alarm clock, the book(s) I am actually reading, and a coaster for that nighttime glass of water, but I have a new place to store and sort incoming books. I'm so very excited.

The other thing that I wanted to follow up on was my month of e-reading. It was fairly successful. Because I was in the car, I did listen to more audiobooks than usual (and would have probably listened to another, but I ran out!). I did listen to 3, which is slightly more than usual (though none of them were super-long). I did read four books on my Kindle while I was traveling, which is the most I've used my Kindle in any one month. But I really only lasted about 2 1/2 weeks. Once I returned home, I was ready to read some other books waiting on my shelf. It wasn't the format, but the availability of books I wanted to and needed to be reading. I also read about half of Gulliver's Travels on my Nintendo DS XL with the 100 Classic Books cartridge that Nintendo sent me to try out. I was completely surprised about how much I loved reading on it, given the small screen (even the slightly bigger DSi XL screen). But I really do, and will definitely use it again in the future.

That brings me to this month's list.


That makes for 1 middle grade novel, 3 YA, 2 fiction, and 1 non-fiction. I think that I can (and will) read those and maybe one or two more.

See what else the blogging world is reading at What's on My Nightstand the fourth Tuesday of every month at 5 Minutes for Books.

13 comments:

TheBookGirl said...

I am so interested to hear your reaction to reading on the Nintendo device. I had heard about the classics promotion and was sorely tempted...I have previously rejected all things electronic when it comes to reading...audiobooks was a big thing for me, although I have come to realize they work well for me in certain situations (walking outside; lying in bed at night before trying to sleep).

Would you recommend the Nintendo reading for someone who has not read on an e-reader before?

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I read Infinit Days not that long ago.


Here is mine

Brimful Curiosities said...

Actually, the 39 clues giveaway on Brimful Curiosities is just for Books #1 and #2, but #2 is signed by author Gordon Korman. It is my favorite of the whole series, and well worth a comment for a chance to win.

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Oh--oops Brimful, I'll fix it.

Bookgirl--
I think that if you have a DS, and you'd like to dip into reading electronically, it's a good way to do it. I do have a traditional e-reader (Kindle), and I still love the features that the DS cartridge has.

Lauren said...

I am considering a Kindle, but I don't know if I can make the plunge. It would be nice for travel!

Carrie said...

haha! I NEED a new nightstand as well. My desk is buried. Someday I'll find it again. I like your clean and organized space. =) Maybe I should just reorganize my desk. That might help.

Love Bears All Things said...

Thanks for coming to see me and your comments...I have been reading Barbara H. at Stray Thoughts for ever so long and never came over here or thought about joining...it is definitely worth the time.
Mama Bear

bekahcubed said...

How nice to have a new "book staging" area. Before I came up with my current arrangement, I know I had the most difficult time keeping tracks of books I wanted to read, books I'd already read but wanted to take notes on or review, books that needed to go back to the library soon, etc.

Lisa notes... said...

I’ve been trying to do more e-reading, too. Sometimes it’s hard for me to REMEMBER to get out my Kindle and read. ha. But I love it when I do. I finished reading Pride & Prejudice on my Kindle this weekend. Loved it.

How exciting that you'll have a new place to keep your books!

Nancy said...

Oh, Gulliver's Travels, my white whale. At least I've made it to part two! Sigh.

Upstatemomof3 said...

I need to check out the 39 clues for my son. I wonder if he would enjoy it. It might be worth checking out.

Tina said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am ready to get done with those magazines and get back to "real" books. It's great that you have a staging area for your TBR books. Mine are piled in the floor in the living room next to the bookshelf that is full of family photos. I have to get another bookshelf soon.

mommablogsalot said...

ohh Prisoners in the Palace has me very intrigued! Great list!