Saturday, August 28, 2010

His and Hers . . . Tape??

Summer togetherness has come with a price. There has been a fair share of arguing, hitting, and screaming. (As a long aside, I thought that since my kids were 5 1/2 years apart that there would be less bickering. And yes, there has been less bickering than with some siblings, but in the last year, it's on. The eldest is a tween and knows everything -- more than her parents and certainly more than her little brother. The little brother, now 6, is tired of being bossed around, and knows quite a bit himself, so clashes are commonplace.)

Some of this is allayed by massive amounts of electric entertainment via the computer, the Wii, and/or the TV, and sometimes this just intensifies the fighting.

Recently there was a real ruckus upstairs.  Running in the hall, screeching, and slamming doors.

Apparently the slamming door was Amanda's, because the howl of neglect and the angry scream came from little brother Kyle.

"Kyle?  Come here.  What's up?" I asked, fairly calm for once.

Kyle came to me, weeping (still angrily), "Amanda broke my feelings."

How heartbreakingly sweet is that, I ask you?

"She wouldn't share the tape."

All this, over tape? I wondered.

For Amanda, the struggle was over territory -- her room. For Kyle, it was over being left out, being excluded, being told no.

But he's no shrinking violet. I had given him a roll of tape for whatever he needed it for, and when I came downstairs later, I saw that he was staking his irrevocable claim on it:

7 comments:

Martha said...

Good for Kyle! Youngest children unite!! :)

Kimberly said...

Sounds strangely familiar to my house! My daughter's new bedroom was recently completed and the territorial wars have begun.

Love that he labeled his tape.

morninglight mama said...

Oh, I love this!! And boy oh boy, can I relate to the bickering. Oh yes.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

We can so relate to this post. The arguments -- even the fact that this one was, in part, over the tween's room. And the labeling. Cute. And I hope Kyle's feelings are no longer broken. :)

Barb @ 1SentenceDiary said...

I *love* the label on the tape. So classic. And good for you for remaining calm. That's, ahem, not always my strong suit. :-D

I recently posted my own thoughts on raising siblings without rivalry and whether that is possible, or even desirable.

I've been lurking for awhile and figured it was about time to comment! I found you through 5 minutes for books, which I am also quite enjoying. Thanks for all your writing!

Lisa writes... said...

That hilarious. And only because I've so been there. One of the more memorable arguments involved a disagreement over which navy blue pillowcase (both identical to my untrained eye) belonged to whom. Crazy!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Ah, the sounds of sibling rivalry. We haven't started fighting over territory yet, mainly because no one has any! With 2 kids per small room they are lucky to have any personal space at all. :)