Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Nightstand -- August

I've you've only come to expect me to post on Tuesdays (with my 5 Minutes for Books linkups) and perhaps one more throughout the week -- get ready.  I noticed that I have several posts in draft which are practically ready to post.  An incredibly busy summer of travel has brought my focus to other things, but now I'll be writing about that vacation, deal with sibling rivalry, share some links to some awesome giveaways and book reviews, and maybe stir up a TV viewing conversation.  So, please, subscribe to my feed if you don't already, and reward my efforts (if my efforts satisfy, that is).


I'd also like to pass along the link to a fun, informative article I did for Patch.com: Get Your Kids Hooked on Books, specifically about encouraging that early, perhaps reluctant reader. Kyle has turned the corner, and I'm thrilled!!

Now on to my Nightstand:


Books I need to read:
  • The 39 Clues Book 1:The Maze of Bones -- A carryover from last month. I want to read at least this first book (and maybe more) before next week, when we are thrilled to host the final stop for the final book in this series with author Margaret Peterson Haddix. That will be on August 31 at 5 Minutes for Mom. In the meantime, check out guest posts by the authors and giveaways at other stops (look at the "stay tuned" bullet).
  • Mockingjay -- the Final Hunger Games Book. It's supposed to arrive today. Amanda and I will fight over it (actually I've decided to let her read it first, but with no plans on the schedule, she might finish it today), but we'll both have it read within the week I'm sure. If you are unsure what all this hubbub is about, check out my Hunger Games summary post at 5 Minutes for Mom, where you can also enter to win an 8GB Ipod Touch with a special Mockingjay emblem on it. That's right!


Books I think I'll read:


Books I might read (but I might not):

See what else the blogging world is reading at What's on My Nightstand the fourth Tuesday of every month at 5 Minutes for Books


17 comments:

Janet said...

I'm COMPLETELY jealous that you're getting a copy of Mockingjay! :-)

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I bought my copy, but yes, I'm getting it. . . .

Susan said...

I'm blogging about my vacation, too - where did you go?
The Middle School book sounds intriguing - I hope you'll post its "secrets!" (My two oldest are in grades 6 and 8 this year - how did that happen??).

Lisa notes... said...

I need to check out Hunger Games soon. Sounds interesting and I see it popping up everywhere. Hope you enjoy your foray into the middle school years—they are definitely interesting and different! Pray a lot. :-)

bekahcubed said...

I'm loving your category "Books I might read (but I might not)". I wish I gave myself more permission to NOT read books from the get-go. As it is, I tend to overextend myself on library trips and then find myself at the last minute returning books unread or partially read--and moaning all the while over my inability to complete them!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I'm ready for Mockingjay!!

mine

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

@Susan--we went to New Hampshire to a small working farm. It was really cool!

@Lisa--you'll be in a good place to read Hunger Games, because you can read straight through. Depending on your kids' preferences (and fears -- because it does have some violence), they might enjoy reading it with you at some point.

@Bekah--thanks! I decided to change it up, because my lists are so ambitious, so I think that ranking them might help, and make me more realistic about it.

@Brooke -- me, too, but I'm willing to wait a few days.

Nise' said...

May your daughter sail the waters of middle school with relatively few storms! I am looking forward to Mockingjay as well.

mommablogsalot said...

Oh Mockingjay... I might have to give in and buy myself a copy of this one as I'm guessing the library will not have any in stock for eternity and my husband and I are oh so anxious to read it! Happy reading!

Carrie said...

Oh that European Tour book sounds like a delight!

And, as I keep leaving notes around everywhere (seeing that everyone is talking about Mockingjay today) - I'm on a hold list at our library to get The Hunger Games. Apparently I'm not the last person to have read it as it's still quite popular.

Happy Nightstanding to you today. ;)

Barbara H. said...

The funny travel memoir sounds great.

monica @ paperbridges said...

haha the Kindle edition of From Every End of the Earth is more $$ than the bargain price hardcover and paperback. too funny. (got it wishlisted, so thanks for mentioning it)

m

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

@Carrie -- Don't you miss us??

@Barbara and Carrie -- review to come on 5M4B

@Mommablogsalot -- I don't know if you ever do audiobooks, but I listened to Hunger Games that way and it was great. At my library, the book already had many many on the WL but the audiobook didn't!

@Monica Interesting. I LOVE the bargain price on hardcovers when the paperbacks come out. And now you've inspired me. I have until Nov 2 to post it and be relevant for the paperback edition!!

morninglight mama said...

It's 4:37 and I'm only 52 pages in, but I did re-read THG and CF yesterday and today, so I'm all in for Mockingjay tonight. I've got a PTA meeting to go to, but by 9 pm, I expect to be hunkered down on the couch for as long as it takes to finish. :)

I like your new format with this one-- the three "tiers" of reading.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I have not been able to think past Mockingjay, so I'm not sure what comes next for me. I'm going to go look up that Middle School book though...might be needed around here too.

Nancy said...

I also like the format and the headers. All of the books you have ahead sound great. I have a ways to go before middle school but I'll have to make a note to read it in 4 years. :)

Lauren said...

I haven't read any of the Hunger Games books. I guess I need to get on board with everyone else!