Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall Into Reading Challenge - 2010

It's Fall.  That means it's time for Callapidder Days' Fall into Reading Challenge.  Because I'm a book reviewer at 5 Minutes for Books and currently read between 1900- 2800 pages a month, I hardly need a challenge to insure that I am reading (as I did when I joined the first one, and had forsaken my love of reading -- obviously it worked!!).

**Shameless plug before I give my list.  We are having a Fall Festival of Children's Books this week, so if you like picture books for all ages and of all types, check it out.  We have about 10 giveaways in all!

And now, on to my list.  As a reviewer, I don't really know what I'm going to be reading in the middle of December, because I want to be open to accept a book and read and review it.  However, there are some books that I have on my personal shelf that I've been meaning to get to.  There are also some advance copies that I've had standing by that I need to get to, and I have a super secret project for which I will be reading a lot of children's literature over the next few months -- okay it's not super-secret anymore.  I'm a Round 1 judge for the Cybils Middle Grade Fiction category.  BIG WORK ahead!


Review titles I would like to finish by the end of the challenge:

Adult Fiction:
  • Out of the Shadows -- by Joanne Rendell. I enjoyed her first two books. I got this a week ago and am chomping to get started on it!
Adult Memoir and Non-Fiction:
Young Adult (been loving all the YA I've been reading):
  • Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin -- I must read this next so that I can get the review and giveaway up at 5 Minutes for Books next week, but it looks like a great YA fairy novel.
  • Pies and Prejudice (Mother Daughter Book Club) -- I love this series -- love, love! It's a long book, and Amanda (12) and I reading it aloud, but we should finish in the next month or so, and then I'd honestly like to get started right away on another with her.
Middle Grade Fiction:
  • The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter -- I just started this last night, and it's living up to the delightfully quirky expectation I had for it!

Personal titles that I want to finally read (I would like to get to at least 4 out of these 5)
For personal study:
Um -- typing out all these books was very eye-opening.  25 books (plus all the children's fiction I will be reading and anything else that might come my way?) -- that's a lot.  I actually think that reading 25 books in the 3 months isn't a problem at all, but will it be these 25 books?  We'll see, right?

Want to keep up with me? I invite you to subscribe to my blog feed (I post a few times a week about parenting a 6 year old boy and a 12 year old girl, my life in general, and our love of books!), and/or the 5 Minutes for Books feed (We post about twice a day -- reviews and giveaways of all genres for all ages).


17 comments:

Rana said...

I like your list. I might have to put the mother/daughter challenge book on my list. Enjoy your read.

Ronnica said...

I review books as well, so I know my list will get changed.

Running the Books sounds really good...added it to my TBR list. Hmmm, maybe it's not wise to read everyone else's list AFTER I wrote mine!

Book Thief is good, but I must admit I really didn't like it until the end. Can't really tell you why without spoiling it, but if you're finding you're not liking it, stick with it!

Lindsay said...

oo very fun list! You have a few on your personal reading list that I want to read! :-)

Barbara H. said...

That's the second list I've seen mentioning Discipline. I read that years ago, but it is probably the kind of book I should read once every five years or so.

I loved Her Mother's Hope. I am reading the sequel now.

That does look like a lot, especially with the review books you might be getting. The list I end up with isn't always the list I started out with, either.

mommablogsalot said...

So many books on here I'm wanting to read - the Mother Daughter Bookclub series fascinates me and The Book Theif and Matched are both on my list as well. :) Happy reading!

Amy said...

I also am joining in on this challenge. But, in all honesty, the biggest challenge for me is going to be finding the time to sit and read them! :) Hoping all goes well...
Happy Reading!

Lisa notes... said...

Your memoirs sound so intriguing. I’ll have to check back for reviews after you’re done. “Writing down the Bones” also sounds so good (well, they all do!). Great list, as always.

RBM said...

Happy Reading!

Carrie said...

Hey! Congrats on being a Round 1 judge.

And I know you've said that before but it's sinking in now that this challenge motivated you to start reading again. Well, WOWZERS, it sure did the trick! ;)

Oh, and btw, thank you. ;)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, I can't believe I've read a book on your list! :-) I read and loved The Book Thief a year or two ago. :-) (Imagine a silly little grin on my face right now.)

I'm jealous that you get to read all those middle grade JFs! :-) Looks like you have a lot of other great books to choose from!

Brittanie said...

Summer at Tiffany was good. :)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Yes, you'll be busy with all these books (and the others that find their way to your house!). Looking forward to your reviews, and am already very curious about The Kneebone Boy. Also, I've had Writing Down the Bones for...well, forever, it seems. I read a chapter or two and then just don't make it any further. Maybe if you read it and love it, I'll give it another try.

Jen said...

Wonderful list! Sumer at Tiffany sound good, Her Mother's Hope is on my to be read list.
Happy Fall!

Nise' said...

You have a great line up of books for Fall! I've got Without A Word on my list as well.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Lots of great books. I loved Summer at Tiffany.

alisonwonderland said...

Congrats on being a Cybils judge! I think that would be a lot of fun - in addition to being a lot of work. :)

Your list looks great! I'm very eager to read Matched - it's on my FIR list too - as I've heard such great things about it from everyone whose had a "sneakpeek" at it.

I hope you get to The Book Thief, as I think it has a wonderful message about the power of words.

Happy reading!

Lisa writes... said...

Oh yes, The Book Thief. Just picked up a copy (I'd checked out of the library before) and am thinking I may need to re-read it and soon.

I have Discipline on tap for our book club at church. Looks good, you know, in a convicting sort of way. :)

I read Summer at Tiffany recently and really enjoyed it!

Great list, as always!