Thursday, September 16, 2010

Forgotten Treasure

The theme for today's post at Book Blogger Appreciation week is "Forgotten Treasure." I love that. We posted our picks over at 5 Minutes for Books, but I'm not talking about books here.

What? That's right I'm NOT talking about books.

It got me thinking of other areas of Forgotten Treasure. Everything in entertainment especially is fueled by hype, but there are great shows on TV and wonderful movies that have been forgotten.

Should I use this opportunity to once again discuss my love for The West Wing? I don't know. People who watch it love it, but do people watch it?? Maybe they do since it's in syndication on Bravo now, and I've been wielding my influence this last year.

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are big stars, but does anyone appreciate Joe Versus the Volcano like we do?  Maybe treasure is taking it too far, but it's funny, and wry, and ironic.  Really.

Newer is not always better, right? For example a friend and I were talking once about DVDs. They are supposed to be great, right? Better sound, better picture quality, smaller, lighter. But what has happened to every DVD your child has loved? What, your child always handles it properly and puts it in the case, so they don't scratch them? Lucky you. They always scratch. But I had VHS tapes from Amanda's years that I could share with Kyle (until our VCR bit the dust for good). I understand that Blu-Ray discs are supposed to be a billion times stronger and more coated, but I can't confirm or deny that.

So, tell me -- what are things that you love that are forgotten by others? It could be a movie, TV show, food, a household product, anything. If you want to talk books, join in the discussion at 5 Minutes for Books, but let's fill our Netflix queues and Target carts with some items that we've forgotten how lovely they are.

4 comments:

morninglight mama said...

The Tom Hanks movie from long ago that my family loved was "The Money Pit." Too funny! (Now, as a homeowner, perhaps I'd see it less as a comedy and more as a horror film.)

I would say that folks need to put "My So-Called Life" in their queue-- only one season was made, but it was excellent.

Barb @ 1SentenceDiary said...

Oh, Joe versus the Volcano! Great movie. I'm going to put it in my netflix queue right now. Thanks for the reminder.

My boyfriend is a big fan of the movie "Newsies" which he says is great for kids and adults too. I haven't seen it yet (it's also in the netflix queue) but I trust his recommendation.

As for me, I think I could watch "The Princess Bride" about a million more times. It makes me laugh again and again.

Carolyn said...

Oh, I love Princess Bride. And I miss the TV show Ed.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I was just going to say, "The Princess Bride" and I see Carolyn beat me to it. :)

Yes, our DVDs get scratched too...bummer. But we haven't (and probably don't plan to) get a Blu-Ray, so I don't know about those either...