Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm as smart as Wikipedia says I am

I was writing up a review for a really clever children's book Besty Red Hoodie the other day.  I was trying to comment in a scholarly and official children's picture book reviewer sort of way about the pictures on the paper inside the cover of the book.  I knew that there was a word for those pages glued on the cover, and so I googled it, and lo and behold Wikipedia came through. In addition to the structure of a book, the book entry also contains information about manufacturing, the history of the book, genres, library bar coding and more.

Such a treasure-trove of information! Oh yeah, if you want to know the technical name, you'll have to check out my review of Besty Red Hoodie.


It's a part of the 5 Minutes for Books Fall Festival of Children's Books. We're doing a clearinghouse of children's books this week -- featuring reviews of all sorts of picture books -- fiction, non-fiction, funny, scary, religious. . . . And we have a bunch of giveaways as well. As of today we have 14 reviews, and 7 of them have giveaways attached!

2 comments:

Anne@LittleSproutBooks said...

What did we do before the internet? It is my go to for almost every question! Instant gratification!
Thanks for the visit at Little Sprout Books!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I remember looking up the same thing when I talked about a Nancy Drew book on my blog. :) Not sure if I used Wikipedia or some other handy Internet reference. But I am thankful for the Internet and all it's easily-accessed information.