Friday, September 17, 2010

Run Forward/Come Back

A couple months ago, I featured Audrey Assad's new CD over at 5 Minutes for Books. I have really been enjoying The House You're Building since then.

There's one song that's just been hitting me lately.  Love it.  Love the sound and absolutely love the words.

If I was listening to this CD a year ago, I would have thought about the precarious dance of a marriage growing older.  But now, I am literally watching my sweet daughter fight for her independence, I see the clashes that are going to inevitably put obstacles in our path.

Oh, how'd we get so disconnected
My heart is shutting down
I just can't let it

I can't embed it, but go watch the video

Listen.  Read the lyrics, and then if it reminds you of a marriage, as it did me, go read my review of The Stuff that Never Happened (which earned the best of the best 5 Star Reads label).

When I read this line in The Stuff that Never Happened, I couldn't help but hear this song as a companion piece.  One of the characters said to another, "Because you need to grab on to whatever you can in life -- whatever makes you happy.  There's so little of that in life.  That's grace, you know.  A concept that, by the way, I didn't know I believed in."

The song continues

Oh I'll run forward and pray you fall back
Grace will come and clear your path
I'll run forward and you come back
Come back

3 comments:

Petula said...

Very cool! I love the way that tied together for you. Moments like that are awesome.

Barb @ 1SentenceDiary said...

OK, alright, OK! I've put "The stuff that never happened" on my list at the library. Looking forward to it. :-)

Barb @ 1SentenceDiary said...

OK, alright, OK! I've put "The stuff that never happened" on my list at the library. Looking forward to it. :-)