Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What I'm Reading (What is actually on my Nightstand)

I'm a little late linking up today to What's on Your Nightstand, but I thought I'd share a bit about what I'm reading exactly right now.  I have a nifty amazon widget that Lauren told me about that is super-easy to update, and I try to keep it updated with what I'm actually reading right now.

Amanda and I are reading the latest Mother Daughter Bookclub book Pies and Prejudice.  It's good.  I made her watch A&E's Pride and Prejudice with me, and by the last half, she was pretty well hooked. 

Without a Word is Jill Kelly's memoir of her marriage to Jim Kelly, specifically as it was affected by having a severely ill/disabled baby.  It came unsolicited, and I decided to give it a try.  I knew I'd either like it or it wouldn't wow me.  It pretty much wowed me.  So I'm almost halfway through.  I think I will feature a giveaway on Monday at 5 Minutes for Mom.

The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter is as delightfully quirky as I had hoped it would be. I liked it as soon as I started it, but I've been trying to finish some other things, so I've put this Middle Grade novel aside.

And I did just finish Extraordinary, a YA faerie novel.  The review and giveaway will post at midnight tonight at 5 Minutes for Books.  The links will be live at that time.

I made a list for the Fall Into Reading Challenge, so you can see what else I'll be reading this month (plus), but as usual I forgot 2 books.  I will read them next, because will be featuring them on 10/11 at 5 Minutes for Mom:

Six Ways to Keep the Little in Your Girl and 8 Great Dates for Moms and Daughters: How to Talk About True Beauty, Cool Fashion, and Modesty! by Dannah Gresh

14 comments:

mommablogsalot said...

Great list! I'm looking forward to reading your review of Extraordinary!

bekahcubed said...

Glad Amanda enjoyed the A&E Pride and Prejudice. I got hooked on it as a teen and have been a zealous evangelist for "the long version" of Pride and Prejudice ever since, introducing one young friend after another to the wonders of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy. Once we're done watching, I hand my guests a copy of the book so they can read it for themselves. (I pick up copies for $.50-1.00 at our library book sale every year. At one time, I had five copies of Pride and Prejudice. I've given quite a few away and I think I'm now at three copies.)

morninglight mama said...

I have both the A&E version and the more recent movie version, but I haven't watched either yet. Glad to hear that Amanda enjoyed it!

Lisa writes... said...

Well, of course she loved A&E's P&P! Who wouldn't? :)

Carrie said...

Hurray! =D You've had her watch A&E's P&P! (Thank you for not saying you had her watch the K. Knightly one!)

Keep mentioning the Mother-Daughter bookclub! I'm GOING to get to it!

Without a Word definitely piques my interest!

Lisa notes... said...

I loved A&E’s Pride & Prejudice, so maybe I should hook my daughter into reading Pies and Prejudice together. We’re both reading Emma right now. Thanks for sharing your list!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I just had two books I had agreed to read and review arrive at my house...and, of course, I had forgotten about them and did not include them on my FIR list. So I'm up by 2 as well.

Nancy said...

I've read P&P a few times but have never seen any of the movies! I really must remedy that soon.

Cassandra said...

I love the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice. Such a great movie!

Sounds like a great list this month. Happy reading!

Lauren said...

I love Dannah Gresh. I will have to check out both the "daughter" books. Her "And the Bride Wore White" book is fabulous.

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

As far as I'm concerned there is only ONE P & P version worth watching! And I don't recommend doing so with your husband. He just won't get it. :)

avisannschild said...

To answer your question, I'm planning on posting MM on Sunday at some point, probably fairly early in the day since I'm leaving town and I want to make sure it goes live properly before I leave!

Petula said...

I don't even wanna think about all of the books waiting for me. I think I should have a reading weekend really soon.

I haven't seen A&E's Pride & Prejudice, but I did see the old movie one with my teen and we love it! You have a good stack waiting for you.

Kara said...

Great list! My FIR list is growing too...several more review books showed up that I didn't include!