Sunday, September 12, 2010

What is Your Ice Cream Memory?

I started the post that went up Friday morning about eating ice cream on vacation weeks ago (meaning it to be a part of a vacation wrap up that obviously has been late in coming), but then I heard the Colin McEnroe show on WNPR later that day, and they were talking about how ice cream fits into our childhood memories and also about seeking out locally made ice creams on vacation.  Do you think that they are reading my blog and stealing my ideas?  (insert heavy sarcasm here)

But it got me thinking (anything that gets me thinking about ice cream is okay in my book).

My childhood ice cream association (in addition to raiding the top of my mom's dresser for change for the ice cream truck, which the panelist mentioned is a memory common to all of a certain generation), is Blue Bell ice cream.  It's one thing we miss about living in Texas. 

When I was in high school, I spent as much time at my best friend Mary's house as I did at my own.  Her dad loved Blue Bell ice cream, and so one of the first things I did when we arrived after school was check out the stash in the freezer.  There were usually at least 3 half-gallon cartons of Blue Bell.  There was always Homemade Vanilla, usually some sort of chocolate flavor, Tin Roof or my favorites Chocolate Sundae or Triple Chocolate, and then perhaps "something weird" (weird meaning it didn't interest Mary or me).

The decadence of having so many flavors to choose from in a home freezer, and having it always available was beyond my comprehension (For the record, it's not the only reason I went to her house).

We miss being able to buy ice cream of that quality right at the grocery store, but it has been replaced
with being able to buy delicious dairy-fresh ice cream.


The summer we moved here to Connecticut from Texas, Ferris Acres Creamery opened up in our town.  It's only open seasonally, about April - October.  Anyone who has visited us in that time frame has gone to Ferris Acres with us.  This summer I have become absolutely addicted to the Coffee Almond Fudge ice cream, but because of big crowds we still don't go that often. 

I'm not sure what Kyle's problem was.  He's probably jealous that Jason got more ice cream than he did. 2008 - Taking friends to Ferris.
Their radio show was actually inspired by an article in the New York Times about artisanal ice cream.  They referenced the high cost of it.  I'm not sure about the ice cream from Buttonwood Farm that they were sampling (that we might have to try out now!), but not only is our ice cream from our dairy farms delicious, but it's also inexpensive and plentiful.  For less than $3 a "small" has 2 very generous-sized scoops.  You can't beat that.


The radio panelist who teaches a writing class on "place," insisted that everyone has an ice cream memory from childhood.  So what's yours?

6 comments:

Brittanie said...

My ice cream memory is going to my grandmother's house and her always having at least two types. We would spend a week with her in the summer. I still have that ice cream addiction I just restrain myself most of the time. lol :)

mommablogsalot said...

When I was a kid I used to spend a large part of my summer at my grandparents (my dad could never get enough time off to come with me, so I went myself) and we often took trips to the Four Corners hot dog stand. My favorite part of these excursions was getting bubblegum ice cream afterwards and playing in the sand!

Martha said...

Kyle is mad because you made him share with you and he did not get his own. That was really great ice cream!! (they look too little!) We are becoming more of an ice cream fan now.

planetnomad said...

I lived in a small town on the Canadian prairies, and we used to ride our bikes across the high way to the Dairy King.

Nancy said...

Ice cream always followed special events like choir concerts or dance competitions. I have memories of going to a place called Jahn's, and then after they closed, to Carvel. We finally got to try out the local homemade ice cream place this weekend and it was quite good. I do miss the Dairy we went to back in New Jersey.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Well, my entire childhood pretty much WAS ice cream, since my parents owned an ice cream store from the time I was 4 years old. I worked there, I practically lived there during the summers when I was young (we went to the store with my parents and entertained ourselves while they worked). I had ice cream just about every day (which created some bad habits I'm STILL battling, thank you very much).

Now, when we go out for ice cream, we like to go to a small-town drive-up ice cream joint about 10 minutes away. It's not the same as my childhood experience, but it's creating new memories for our kids.