Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A Guest at the Wedding

Terry and I went to a wedding on Saturday.  I'm kicking myself for forgetting my camera so that I could get a picture of the lovely bride and someone could take the rare picture of Terry and me looking good.

I was sort of dreading the wedding.  Not the wedding itself, but the whole deal.  The wedding was over an hour away, but then the reception was actually over by our house.  So we came home in between, missing some of the "cocktail hour" and arriving before dinner.

I'm not an overly social person, but I did okay chit-chatting with Terry's work friends.  Also I was wearing a new dress (bought on a double-discount at Ann Taylor), so I actually felt like I looked pretty good.  Considering the time of the month and the fact that I haven't been feeling like I'm looking good, this went a long way to making me feel comfortable and confident.

Thank goodness for new dresses!

It was funny, because there were actually only about half of the guests at the actual wedding.  The rest simply came to the reception.  The bride told my husband that we didn't have to come to the wedding, since we lived near the reception.  The guests coming in from out of town were staying near the reception, so she apparently told them the same thing and they didn't come.

My husband said, "I wish we hadn't have RSVP'd for the dinner.  I'd much rather attend the wedding and not the reception."

I agree. Weddings are sweet.  They are always a time to recommit to your own marriage and remember the promise.  New love is exciting, but as the priest said at the wedding, it deepens and becomes even more special.  Doing life together doesn't always feel like warm fuzzy new love, but it certainly is special.  Being invited to share in such a personal step makes me feel closer to a person.

I would say that I haven't been to many weddings, but I counted up, and I think I've been to about 25.  Here are some interesting stats:
  • Between Terry and me, we only have 3 siblings and 1 cousin, so that makes up 4 of the weddings.  Most of you probably have attended more family weddings, although I have been a guest at both my mom's and my dad's (second) weddings.
  • Then we have the regular mix of high school and college friends, which probably comprises over half of them.  A unique fact is that of the 25 weddings, I was a bridesmaid or he was a groomsmen for seven of them, and served as house party for 2 or 3 of the others.  Even more unique -- one of the weddings that I was in -- I probably would not even have attended were I not a bridesmaid since it was out of town, but what can you do?
  • We attended one of Terry's coworkers's wedding at least 10 years ago, and though we each remember the wedding (it was memorable in that there was some sort of tradition from her culture, Filipino I think, that involved binding the bride and groom symbolically and literally with a rope), neither of us can remember the guy's name!
So those are our stats -- 25 weddings, about 30% of which we were involved in personally.


What about you?  Any odd or vague wedding memories?  How many weddings would you say you've attended over your lifetime?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

LOTS! =D

But mostly I'm reading your "I'm not an overly social person." line and am snickering to myself. You EASILY talk to people and seem to feed off of interacting with others. (An excellent attribute for all that you do!)

I feel like a mute next to you. Oh wait. That's because - I WAS!

planetnomad said...

We've gone to two weddings just since coming back to the US, and at one I was thinking about how many weddings I've been in. It took me forever to remember. Isn't that odd? You'd think you'd remember being a bridesmaid! I have in my mind it was 7 times, but I can only remember 6 occasions. As to how many I've ATTENDED, well, who knows? Lots and lots and lots.

1sentencediary said...

I agree w/ your hubby: I love the weddings and don't always enjoy the receptions as much. That fact makes planning my own (upcoming) wedding somewhat challenging. ;-) But well worth it, of course!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Even though we have more immediate family members, I don't think I've been to as many weddings as you. I think it's our well-established introversion. :)

Yes, weddings are sweet, but they really feel like an all-day ordeal (when you add in the reception), so can be a bit exhausting.