Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kids' Picks for October

Wow, it's really October.  This back-to-school season has been crazy.

Amanda and Kyle and I have been reading up a storm.

I asked for the librarian's help at the end of last month finding some funny picture books that Kyle would enjoy, and boy did she!  Though he is ready to read short chapter books, they don't appeal to him as much as picture books (specifically funny books, but he loves nonfiction too).

His hands-down favorite was Laurie Keller's Arnie, the Doughnut -- which he enjoyed so much that we renewed it, and it's enjoying another 3 week stint here at our house. After bringing it home, I put it together that she is the author of the Scrambled States of America (linked to my audiobook review). Looking at amazon, I see several zany-looking covers in her collection, so we'll have to browse the E KEL section at the library on our next trip.

He also liked Enemy Pie by Derek Munson (which he told me he had read in Kindergarten as well) and Ugly Fish by Kara LeReau.

As for Amanda, she's been helping me out with my Cybils reading. She's read a few of the titles after I've read them, and her favorite so far has been The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger. I loved it too. There are so many great things about this book. It's set in a 6th grade middle school, but isn't full of attitude or mature topics. There's some middle-school crushing going on, but that's about it. It's short, which means that even a reluctant reader won't be intimidated. I'm going to write a full review over at 5 Minutes for Books, but this book is really for anyone, boy or girl, 4th grade through middle school (maybe a 3rd grader, especially a girl who was looking to read a little about boy/girl stuff in an age appropriate manner). You can read the summary at amazon via my link above, so I won't go into that, but this is funny and sweet and even has a little bit of a moral to it. 

She bought a special book-fair priced edition of the newest in Margaret Peterson Haddix's Missing series this month (gotta love the special under $10 hardcover editions at the book fair!). Sabotaged is the third book.  She said that it lived up to the others, and she said that there will still be more to come. She loves this suspenseful and exciting series about a bunch of kids who go missing. I haven't read them, but I was just reading the plot summary on amazon, and apparently there's a historical component to them. Very interesting.

Find out what more kids are picking over at 5 Minutes for Books.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

We read Arnie the Doughnut a while ago and it was a big hit in our house! Laurie Keller really has quite the imagination.