Thursday, December 23, 2010

Have you turned into your mother?

As a young person, I remember being embarrassed by my mother ALL the time.  One time when I was in high school, we had bought a few things at the grocery store.  The total was $19.74.  She remarked, "Oh, that was a good year."

The bag boy was in my Spanish class.  And he heard her say that!!  Horrors!!

When Carrie and I were at BEA last year, I found myself talking to strangers, a lot.  Not talking like "Oh, we're both at BEA, so you must be a bookseller, or reviewer, or librarian, and thus we can chitchat about that."  No, more along the lines of something my mom would say to a total stranger in line at the restroom.

As I left the restroom after engaging in such a conversation, I told Carrie, "It's okay if you are embarrassed.  I think I'm turning into my mother, and I was always embarrassed."

Today I was at the grocery store, and the woman behind me was loading up the conveyor belt with all sorts of delicious-looking cheeses, some shrimp, etc.  It was obvious she was preparing for some great holiday entertaining.  I held back my comment, "Looks good -- can I come over?" even though my sure-to-be-embarrassed tween was not with me.

So is it just me?  Or have you turned into your mother as well??

*******

Speaking of mothers, how would you like Blythe Danner to be your mom? I guess that would make you and Gwyneth sisters.  I interviewed Danner and several other members of the cast of Little Fockers in New York recently.  Check out my interview with her where I reveal her secrets to being a good grandma.

I talked with cast newcomer Jessica Alba about being a mom and work/life balance.

I also interviewed the kids in the movie, who cracked me up.  If you comment on that post you can enter to win a $50 Fandango gift card.  In that introductory post, I shared my guilty pleasure at watching the movies (which are PG-13, but please don't take your 13-year-old to see them!!).  This 3rd movie went back to the funny and touching storyline that the first one had (but they are a guilty pleasure -- I know I shouldn't be laughing at some of that stuff, but I can't help it).

2 comments:

Robin McCormack said...

Oh, I love that oh by the way I interview blythe danner and jessica alba. So smooth. Yep, I find myself saying things my mother used to and I swore I'd never do.

morninglight mama said...

You are most certainly not alone, as I could have written this exact post!! (Except for the part about hob-knobbing with the rich and famous...)

I would have been right next to you chatting it up with strangers in the bathroom.

Wait, that didn't sound right...

:)