Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lost

I don't consider myself a scatterbrained person, but I seem to spend a lot of time looking for things or replacing things I've lost these days.

  1. My coffee cup -- I usually have the opportunity to drink 1/2 to 3/4 of my first cup of coffee in peace.  Then the morning routine begins when Amanda comes down for breakfast at 6:30 and doesn't end until Kyle leaves at 8:20.  That means that there's a lot of multitasking going on, and I spend a lot of time looking for my coffee cup.  It has ended up on my bathroom vanity, on the shelf in my spacious closet, on the shelf in Kyle's room, in the pantry, and on the dryer.  I usually find it, but I've occasionally resorted to pouring a fresh cup in a new mug.
  2. My keys -- Like the above example, searching for my keys is such a waste of time.  Unlike the coffee cup which does get carried around, my keys almost always turn up in my purse -- often in the very pocket where I try to keep them, in which I've searched numerous times.
  3. My shopping list --  I am in the middle of a shopping trip and all of a sudden my list is gone.  Sometimes it gets shoved to the bottom of my purse, other times I set it down as I'm shopping.  I often go back and look for it amongst the Charmin I wasn't squeezing or the apples I was selecting and usually find it.  After taking the time to carefully write down what I need (and in many cases like today I had also written my meal plan for the next 10 days complete with page numbers for the recipes I am trying in the new cookbook that I'm reviewing). This is a perfect example of something that is of high value but no financial worth.  
  4. Pictures -- and I could probably extend this to memories as well -- fit in this category as well.  I am still kicking myself over dropping and thus frying a portable hard drive with 2 years of family pictures on it.
  5. My ipod touch -- Oh, I'm really kicking myself over the stupid stupid stupid careless act of leaving not only my ipod but my beloved BusyBodyBook planner behind on an airplane.  Now that 3 days have passed, I've pretty much given up hope of getting them back.  The planner has both worth and value as does the ipod.  I feel at a loss over the planner and already double-booked myself for one night next week and had to change something around when I realized my mistake.  I just ordered a replacement.  I'll wait a while on the ipod, but probably not too long.  I use it several times a week to listen to audiobooks and podcasts.  It's what gets me through my housework and chores!  I probably will not buy an ipod touch, when I can get the new Nano for 1/2 the price, but I feel like it's a "need" at this point in my everyday life, not just a "want."

What memory of a lost item or habitual loss annoys you the most?

3 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

I constantly leave my coffee cup in random places around the house too. So glad to hear I'm not the only one!

morninglight mama said...

I'm so bummed for you about your ipod and most especially your BBB!! I totally understand about your life being in it... every once in a while, I transfer info over to a shared google calendar that hubby and I have, mostly so that he can see what's coming up (doc appts and classes for the kids, family visits, etc).

Good luck-- you never know if someone will get your stuff back to you! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for youj. :)

Nancy said...

I constantly leave credit and debit cards in pants pockets, and then when I need them, can't find them.

We also do Google calendar, I can access it from any computer and my Blackberry and don't have to worry about losing it.