Monday, February 28, 2011

Some Things Never Change

I always found it odd when I come across people who lived in the same area of town all their lives -- well maybe not odd, exactly, but just not me.

We are living in the town I grew up in -- if the 4th largest city in the United States can be called a "town."  But that's exactly my point.  Although I grew up on the SW side of town, we've lived on the North side and in the NW, but I don't want to live where I grew up, for aesthetic reasons in addition to the fact that I don't want to run into random high school classmates at the grocery store, as I once did when I was visiting my grandmother down there.

Being back has unsettled me a little.  It feels completely different, and yet the same.  That nostalgia is a little disturbing and also homey and comfortable.

When I was away week before last, Terry told me that Amanda brought home this fundraiser permission slip and we had to sign off on her bringing home and being responsible for $50 worth of chocolate.

"Is it World's Finest?" I asked.

He confirmed that it was, and I am asserting that it is indeed the World's Finest.  I remember selling them (and eating them) at my junior high school as well.  The price is still just $1 a bar, but they are not fat and chunky like they used to be back in the day, but flatter, making them about half the size.  They also no longer have the lovely chocolate-covered almonds that I remember cost a whole $2 a box back in the early 80's (but worth every penny).

Legwarmers were back a couple of years ago (but they never really caught on, did they?), leggings are here now (the 90's were a little later than my own junior high years), but seriously, everything old is new again.

Speaking of old, I am a bit disturbed to return to my hometown and find the exact same people on the local news.  You know who you are Dave Ward, Tom Koch, Bill Balleza, Ron Trevino, Don Nelson, Mario Gomez.  It is truly odd to see the same reporters staring out of my TV on the same channels.  And if I may, HD is not doing any of them any favors.

Do you live in your hometown?  Or visit it?  How does it make you feel?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you calling me odd? And you know how I feel about where I live :-) D

morninglight mama said...

My parents still live in the same house that we moved into the summer before 7th grade, so I'm always nervous about going to the grocery store with my dad while we're there. I really don't want to run into any old high school folks, honestly, and I do know that many, MANY haven't left the area... so I can relate to that part. :)

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Oh anonymous. . . . . Odd in a good way, perhaps???

Dawn--I'm glad someone else gets it too!

Alica Berwick said...

I DO live in my hometown, however if I had my choice I would have moved but in God's providence He has me here. There are a lot of wonderful things about living where you grew up and the older I become the more I see that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!

I love the fact that my older son worked at the Pharmacy in town and everyone that came in said "tell your mom and dad I said "hi."

I love the fact when you go to a restaurant it takes 10 minutes to get to a table b/c you hug every one you have known.

I love the fact that you are able to see friends children grow up.

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Absolutely Alicia! There are some wonderful good things, and that is how people used to live always before we got so spread out!

When I see multi-generational families all at the same church together, I have mixed feelings. I think "How cool to all live together and have that support," but I also have that other "independent fleeing me thought."

I do love living near enough to family to have their support (their HELP!), which I was missing when we were away.

Teresa said...

Saw your comment over at Musings on bags. It made me laugh because it's so much like me with my bags.

I've moved around a little bit in my life. My mom still lives in the same house we moved to when I was 9. I have no wish to ever live in that burb again. If we ever had to move back to the area (my husband and I are from the same suburban town) we would live nowhere near there if at all possible. The very thought is unsettling. I just sit her rather laughing at that.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've lived in the same town for almost fifty years. There are bad things about it and there are good things about it. There are more good than bad.

It was great meeting you today. Thank you for hosting this lovely get together. Perhaps we can meet up somewhere in the southern part of the area next time.

And I am a new follower here!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I honestly never go back to my hometown. Since my mom moved to live near us (13 years ago!), there is just no reason to. This year is my 20th reunion, and I feel no draw to return... It's a little weird to say that, but without family there, I'm perfectly happy not going back.