"A getaway cruise comes and goes in a few days, but a diamond is forever." --a local jeweler's commercial on the radioI had to disagree. I was almost shouting at my radio, "That's not true! Memories from that cruise will last forever!" My husband and I have reaped so much from the splurge of a great getaway:
- Restoration of togetherness in marriage changed by children
- Rejuvenation of spirit and personal resolve (in each of our jobs--his stress in going to work and my relentless responsibility of caring for the children)
- Memories that do last forever
- of a new culture
- the beauty of a new place (like Disneyworld)
- a new experience or skill
- new foods
- a new language
- Rest, a priceless commodity
I have been surprised with some nice jewels, and I do treasure them, but if I had to take one over the other, I'd take the getaway experience every time. It's been three years since I was given jewelry, but last year we went to Paris, and this year we hope to return to our favorite Caribbean getaway.
What about you? If you were going to splurge, would you prefer the bling of a diamond, or a fantastic vacation? What are some of your indelible memories or lasting results of a getaway trip or a family vacation?
I've pulled this from the archives -- first published in November 2006.