Sunday, March 06, 2011

Betcha Can't Guess the Fifth

Earlier this week, when talking about returning to my hometown, I mentioned that Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S., ranked by population.  That always surprises people. 

One and two, NYC and LA, people get, but the good ol' boys in Houston being number four -- that's unexpected.  If you really want me to blow your socks off, I'll tell you that Texas has two others rounding out the top 10 -- Dallas and San Antonio.  I remember when San Antonio made the list in the 1990's or even earlier. It surprised me.  I knew San Antonio.  I had been there.  My parents lived there for a time. I could probably surprise most of you yet again by telling you that now San Antonio is now larger than Dallas (and Austin is climbing the ranks at 15 this year).  Texas might be going for world domination -- or we might already have it.

So--back to the title tease -- number 5.

What cities are coming to your mind?  Chicago is 3rd, so what would be 5th -- with a big rise from #10 in 1990, it's Phoenix.  Never would have guessed that.


I'll bet you never knew a simple chart could be so much fun.  Perhaps you still don't know that, but did any of the other the top 10 cities surprise you?

2 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

There is a 12-year-old who lives in my house who is mildly obsessed with city sizes. He regularly checks almanacs and statistics websites and keeps us informed of large and/or growing cities. :) So I'm not surprised. But if it weren't for my son, I would be. :)

Barb @ 1SentenceDiary said...

Hmm... I think those statistics are a bit misleading. The list includes population only within the city-limits. Many large cities (Boston and San Francisco come immediately to mind) have very large suburbs.

Ahhhh... Here's a link:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0884087.html
If you look at the surrounding suburbs, you get a very different list:
1. New York
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Washington DC
5. San Fransisco
6. Philadelphia
7. Boston
8. Detroit
9. Dallas

Sorry! Houston is not even on the list. :-)