Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mailbox Monday: March 14

It's time for me to share what lovely books have come in my mailbox this week, and also what reviews I've posted over the last week. 

For the month of March, Mailbox Monday is hosted by I'm Booking It, and I'm happy to join in with other booklovers.

Books for Review:

I forgot this one last week:  The Raising by Laura Kaisischke, which is the kind of genre-busting book that intrigues me, billed as part gothic romance and part coming-of-age, with a suspenseful thrilling pace.  I actually started it on Saturday, and it's got me, I think.

This Life Is in Your Hands: One Dream, Sixty Acres, and a Family Undone a memoir about going "off the grid" by Melissa Coleman that has been getting GREAT reviews.

A BIG box of books from Kids Can Press.  Here are a few of the highlights:


The Hot Mom to Be Handbook: Look and Feel Great from Bump to Baby -- This was an unsolicited book, and I'm neither hot nor a mom-to-be (ever again), so I won't be reviewing it, but it actually looks like a great modern take on the "What to expect" type of book.

Amazing Cows: Udder Absurdity for Children by Sandra Boynton -- I was offered this book on twitter, and I am SO happy. Boynton board books were my favorites when my kids were little and continue to be preferred baby and toddler birthday gifts. This is a Boynton book for older kids! Yay! It's sort of like a big sturdy comic book. My 6-year-old son is going to LOVE this book, and I'm tucking it away as a special surprise for our upcoming airplane trip. I'll post a full review after that.


Books I purchased:

Yes, I actually bought a couple of books (for the aforementioned trip):
  • For Amanda, my 12 year old Fang: A Maximum Ride Novel by James Patterson -- She was thrilled to see this at Wal-Mart in paperback, because she could never find it in the library, and I didn't want to buy it in hardcover.
  • Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #6: The African Safari Discovery -- My 6-year-old is a very strong reader, but that doesn't mean that he loves to sit quietly and read :-<. He got one of the Flat Stanley adventures books at the book fair last year and enjoyed it, so I'm hoping that this will buy some "sit quietly and read" time on our trip.
Reviews posted this week:
A Double Life: Discovering Motherhood by Lisa Catherine Harper (a great book WITH giveaway!)
The Trouble with Chickens by Doreen Cronin
Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (a Five Star Read)

I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter or on Facebook

10 comments:

Laura @ I'm Booking It said...

LOL. I also have a 12 year old daughter that gets frustrated because I can be talked into buying almost any paperback, but I balk at hardcover.

The Boynton for older kids sounds great-- I was sorry when above mentioned daughter outgrew the board books.

playing.librarian said...

I saw The Paris Wife on another blog today. I think I'll give it a try =)

Mary said...

I'm a fan of Sandra Boynton. Enjoy your reading this week!

bermudaonion said...

This Life is in Your Hands sounds fascinating. I always dream of getting off the grid but then I wake up and realize it's not for me. Enjoy your books!

Mystica said...

Enjoy the reads.

Carrie said...

This Life is in Your Hands sounds very interesting. And we've enjoyed Boynton as well so I'll have to keep an eye out for that!

Tribute Books Mama said...

Enjoy reading , they sound really good.

Aisle B said...

I really liked the cover for Hot Mom to Be. We should always feel hot from the moment we feel the bump grow until the baby pops out.

I have to say another stellar week for you mailbox :) Going to go read the Paris Wife review, very excited to see the 5 stars.

PS Get the Emerald Atlas (10-14 age) book, it is so worth it.

NotoriousSpinks said...

Enjoy your books!

DCMetroreader said...

Going off the Grid sounds fascinating. I could never do it (voluntarily that is) but I admire those that do.