Monday, March 07, 2011

Mailbox Monday: March 7

It's time for me to share what lovely books have come in my mailbox this week, and also what reviews I've posted over the last week.  For the month of March, Mailbox Monday is hosted by I'm Booking It.

For Review:
The Paris Wife: A Novel by Paula McLain -- I've already started this novelization of Ernest Hemingway's early years and his time in Paris, and I love the pacing and the style.

Mothers and Daughters: A Novel by Rae Meadows

Tugg and Teeny (linked to my review and giveaway) -- I had received a PDF so that I could get the giveaway posted, but I received the book last week. My 6-year-old and I both love this "ready to read" book.



Unsolicited Review Copies:

Hope for Your Heart: Finding Strength in Life's Storms a Crossway book by June Hunt

The Trouble with Chickens: A J.J. Tully Mystery by Doreen Cronin -- Back in the fall, I received an ARC of this delightful chapter book by picture-book great Doreen Cronin. Last week it released and I received a finished hardcover book. My son and I read this book together -- very clever (linked to my review).

Rain Brings Frogs: A Little Book of Hope -- This is such a cute little picture book. Look at those frogs!

Invincible: The Chronicles of Nick -- This is the 2nd in a paranormal YA series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Has anyone read the first, Infinity? I am not really "into" paranormal books, but if it's a great story with a compelling cast that just so happen to be dealing with zombies (as it looks like Nick is), then I don't mind.

I received that book along with book two in a series that I have been interested in: Shimmer: A Riley Bloom Book. Riley is the younger sister of Ever, featured in the YA series, The Immortals (linked to my reviews). What I loved about Radiance (linked to my review) is that it's a great book for younger tween readers who want to get into the craze.  The heroine, Riley, is 12, so she's not involved in any mature teen themes.

Reviews I posted this week:

A Double Life: Discovering Motherhood -- a really beautifully-written memoir (with giveaway!)


Prince of Tides book and movie reviews -- a revisit of both the book and the movie.  Love Pat Conroy!

I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter or on Facebook





11 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've heard The Paris Wife is fabulous!

Carrie said...

I keep getting confused by the outpouring of "Wife" titles. Which are good and which aren't? Really, I'm starting to think we need some more unique titles because with all types of wives emerging, I'm having a hard time distinguishing!

I'm looking forward to reading Hope for the Heart (solicited) and I'll be curious to know what you think of it as well.

I saw the Double Life book pop up today (and I clued into the closed comments this time!) and was thinking to myself, "After the sleepless night I just experienced and the aches and pains, the last thing I want to do is read about someone else's!!!" I don't know. So many pregnant women I know playing comparison games at the moment. And of course, I think I'M winning for discomfort. ;) haha! (So gracious and generous am I!)

OH! Yes! And I keep forgetting to answer your question (so I'll do it now, here, while I'm thinking of it.) Yes, I did read the second Agency book and enjoyed it.

Carrie @ nomadreader said...

I'm really looking forward to The Paris Wife. I'm glad to hear you like it so far!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Bermuda Onion and Carrie--I love it when I'm hearing good things before or as I'm reading.

Carrie (RTK) -- I agree totally about the wife thing in titles, and I've yet to figure out how it fits in with this book.

The Double Life was really great -- I loved her way with words -- but I wonder if people who aren't pregnant will feel like it doesn't apply to them so won't read it, and people who are pregnant will feel like you do! If so, that's a shame. I have to admit that I accepted it mostly because I thought it would be appreciated by the readers at 5M4M, but it really hit the spot. I loved it.

I just loaded the 2nd Agency up, so I'll be listening to it soon.

Aisle B said...

Love the variations here. That is what I know you most for, the love of reading with no discrimination for what is creatively written.

Enjoy the reads and like Kathy I've heard amazing things about The Paris Wife.

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Thanks, Aisle B! That's what I've loved about being a book blogger -- the variety of books that come across my desk. When I was choosing on my own, I did read fairly widely, but I probably went more with what I knew I'd like instead of taking some risks or going outside my comfort zone.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

The Paris Wife sounds like a great book!

Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

Oh, lucky you! I really want to read The Paris Wife!!

Crystal (I totally paused!) said...

I haven't read much Hemmingway, but I'm pretty interested in The Paris Wife. Glad to hear you're enjoying it :)

Mystica said...

The Paris Wife is the one I am looking out for.

Mary said...

I've seen a few glowing reviews for The Paris Wife. Hope you enjoy it!