Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Reading Thing 2011


It's that time again!  Katrina at Callapidder Days Spring Reading Thing.  Because about 90% of my books are review books for 5 Minutes for Books, it's always hard for me to predict what I'll be reading in 3 months.  This year I'm striving to clear off some books that I've really really wanted to read.  So this is not a complete goal list for the 3 month time period, but it's a targeted goal list.

Zero-Sum Game: The Rise of the World's Largest Derivatives Exchange -- This doesn't really sound like me, does it? Well, it's by an online friend of mine Erika Olson, and I'm picking up the gauntlet that my financier husband threw down, saying that he didn't think I could "get" it. Erika bills this as very non-techy, so I'm excited to read and share my thoughts with my husband on this one.

The Namesake: A Novel by Jhumpa Lahiri -- I've wanted to read this for a long long time. It was probably on my fall challenge list.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) -- Seriously, I have not read it yet!  I've owned it, but I never have.  I KNOW this has been on other challenge lists, but I've still never gotten around to it.  I'm trying to decide if I need to read Year 6 again.  I think I might.  Amanda, my 12-year-old daughter just completed her nth read-through of all of them.  She always starts with
Year 3, finding Years 1 and 2 a little dull as compared to the others -- I agree!  So I know she's read 3 and 4 at least 4 or 5 times, and this is at least her 3rd go at years 5 and 6. What do you think? Should I do any re-reading, or just jump in?? Or maybe do a refresher with the movies??

At least 2 books stored on my Kindle (I snatch up books when they are offered free, for "someday."  Well, someday is here!!)

Out of the Shadows -- Joanne Rendell -- this was a review book, requested from the author because I really enjoyed her first two books, but for some reason it kept getting pushed aside by other books, so I really want to get to it.

Maybe (but probably not) -- another that I've really REALLY wanted to read:   The Book Thief (If not, I'll shoot for summer with this one).

Christian:

I am close to finishing Unpacking Forgiveness: Biblical Answers for Complex Questions and Deep Wounds (which I've loved), and I'd like to read at least one more of the Christian Living books that are on my shelf.

Some review books that I got early, but am really looking forward to and want to make sure I get to:


The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie  

Joy For Beginners


I usually read 5 - 10 books a month (on the higher end when some of them are kidlit).  That's 7 books listed, which means I'll have to reduce some of my review reading, so I'm going to be mindful of that over the next couple of months when I'm considering review titles I'm offered (or I could just add a few more hours of reading into my week.  Hmmm -- I'm liking that idea).

In fact, I wrote over at 5 Minutes for Books today about how much I love reading as an antidote to Chasing the Wind.  Check it out please.

I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter or on Facebook.


23 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

You go, girl! I hope you totally understand Zero-Sum Game. :-) Unpacking Forgiveness sounds great. Enjoy your reading!

mommablogsalot said...

I've been wanting to read The Book Thief for awhile, too - so many books, so little time! Great list!

Leah said...

I'm really interested in the Unpacking Forgiveness--I definitely have some people in my life I need to forgive, but haven't ever been able to..it's something I've struggled with since childhood. I'm adding that to my book list for the future (maybe the fall challenge!?)

Jenny said...

The Book Thief is one of my all time favorite books. I hope you have time to get to it. You won't regret it!

Trish said...

Great list! I almost put Unpacking Forgiveness on mine as I keep hearing about it, but I can't get it at the library yet and wasn't sure I wanted to buy a copy quite yet.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that and the others. Enjoy!

Lori said...

Aaack! How could you have read Harry Potter 1-6 and not read The Deathly Hallows yet! That was the book where I became in awe of JK Rowling's storytelling mastery and decided that, yes, this series is destined to be considered classics. The entire thread is woven up into a wonderful finale. It starts off a bit slow but by the end of the book, it all comes together. Seriously impressive storytelling right there.

Visiting from Spring Reading Thing and checking out the 5 Minutes for Books I have somehow missed all this time. :-)

Nise' said...

Don't wait to read The Book Thief! Have a great Spring of reading.

Robin McCormack said...

Loved the Book Thief. I agree. You should move it up on your list. My post is up now.

Sandra Stiles said...

The Wilder Life looks like a book I need to check out.

Jimi said...

Looks like a great list! I'm adding both Joy for Beginners and The Wilder Life to my wish list.

I am posting though to agree with the others...read The Book Thief. So good.

Happy reading!

Amy said...

You could probably just read a summary of the 6th HP and be caught up enough to jump into number 7.

Also, The Book Thief was one of my 2 favorites for 2010!

And great idea about reading some Kindle books. I do the exact same thing, so I should probably start reading those as well!

Great list!

Amy said...

Challenges are fun! I will look forward to your review of The Wilder Life.

Enjoy!
Amy @ Missional Mama

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Zero-sum Game actually sounds interesting to me. And I can't believe you still haven't read HP7 yet! I think I'd have to do a re-read, personally, before diving into 7, but that's just me. I really liked Book Thief too, so if you can fit it in, I recommend it.

Susanne said...

Your list sounds interesting and challenging (hello Zero Sum Game!). Have fun with getting those books that you've been wanting to get to off you shelves.

Jackie H. said...

The Wilder book sounds interesting. I've always been a little obsessed with Laura Ingalls Wilder, too-- since she's a famous Missourian like me (except I'm not famous).
Loved The Book Thief. I agree with everyone else, you gotta try and get to that one!

Lizzie said...

Looks good! The Book Thief is on one of my reading lists too.

Ellen - SkoMomma said...

Good luck with the derivatives. Whenever I think back to my MBA course in derivatives...I shudder in horror.

Carrie said...

That Unpacking Forgiveness title is rather calling my name...

Amy said...

Fun list!
I can't wait to read your review for The Wilder Life as I am a HUGE fan of The Little House on the Prairie!
The Book Thief has also been on my TBR pile and I am hoping to get to it sooner than later!

Happy Spring and Happy Reading!

Barbara H. said...

Hope you do understand the Zero-Sum Game. I am not sure I would!

The Little House book sounds good. I admire those who pioneered that life and time, but I don't think I'd want to do it!

Nancy said...

I agree with the others to get to The Book Thief as soon as possible. Such an amazing book.

As for HP7, I would just read a Wikipedia or other summary of the other books, and then jump right in.

Jen said...

Great list! I can't wait to read your review of The Wilder Life, I'm a huge fan of Little House! My TBR list just keeps getting longer! Thanks for sharing your list!

Rana said...

Nice list. The Wilder Life sounds like one I will have to pick up. I just read the whole series to my kiddos and they loved it. I've been wanting to read more about them myself. Enjoy your reads!