Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's on My Nightstand -- March

I just posted an overview of my goals for the Spring Reading Thing earlier this week, which focused on personal reading for the quarter, reinforcing my desire to keep my reading balanced this year, meaning in addition to all the fabulous interesting review titles that I choose to read, I also want to be sure that I'm feeding my soul with informative and instructive books for personal and spiritual development, as well as reading books off my personal pile.

But here's What's on My Nightstand for the next month (be sure to check out the carnival at 5 Minutes for Books to see what others are reading as well).

Continue/Finish Reading:

Unpacking Forgiveness: Biblical Answers for Complex Questions and Deep Wounds -- I'm reading two chapters a week of this book and discussing it with a friend.

As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto  --as I mentioned last month, I figured this would be one that I took my time with. It's very LONG and it's also not a "read straight through quickly" sort of book.

And I ended up with three novels in progress that I need to finish, which is odd, but here's why --

I was 2/3 finished with a thick one, The Raising: A Novel, and I didn't want to bring it on vacation in that state.

I was reading In Leah's Wake on my Kindle, but then Amanda ran out of books and used my Kindle on the plane,

so I read Mothers and Daughters, the one "real book" that I brought on the way home.


Kid Lit:


Lost and Found: Three by Shaun Tan -- This is a short story collection, so perhaps I'll read it aloud to Amanda, because we still haven't picked that habit back up and we both miss it.

Plain Kate is the book I thought I'd read aloud with Amanda, but she ended up "needing" a book, so she already read it (and gave it a hearty thumbs up), so now I need to read it myself.


Nonfiction and Memoir:

This Life Is in Your Hands: One Dream, Sixty Acres, and a Family Undone

The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie  

Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It! -- by Laura Wittman (yes THE Org Junkie)


Personal:

Zero-Sum Game: The Rise of the World's Largest Derivatives Exchange

The Book Thief (moved up from "maybe" to reading it now after all the comments on my SRT challenge post), either this month or next month, depending on how all the review novels go.

I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter or at 5 Minutes for Books on Facebook

10 comments:

mommablogsalot said...

Intrigued by The Wilder Life, sounds interesting!

Lisa notes... said...

I haven’t been brave enough to share my Kindle with my daughter except for a few minutes here and there. ;-) I keep hoping she’ll want her own, but so far, not interested. “Clutter Rehab” sounds very interesting! Happy reading!

Carrie said...

Plain Kate looks kind of intriguing so you'll have to tell me what you think of that one!

morninglight mama said...

I love that Amanda ran out of books! A voracious reader just like her mom!

And I've been meaning to read THE BOOK THIEF for a while now- I've heard nothing but huge praise.

planetnomad said...

Yes, The Book Thief is excellent. Looking forward to hearing your assessment of it.

Nise' said...

Mothers and Daughter's caught my attention on another blog. Enjoy your reading month.

Barbara H. said...

I don't think I have heard of The Book Thief. It sounds very different!

Mothers and Daughters sounds good, too.

bekahcubed said...

What a great little sub-plot about how you managed to get three fiction books going at once!

I took a look at My Life is in your Hands and I might just have to add it to my list. I spent rather a lot of my early teenage years reading those 70's homesteading manuals and the like--all written from a glorious back-to-nature, living-off-the-land, nothing-can-go-wrong-since-we're-doing-it-right perspective. It'd be interesting to read from the perspective of someone who's done it--but without having chosen it herself (if that makes sense.)

Nancy said...

Ooh now I'm afraid you're not going to like The Book Thief with all of the hype! :)

Cassandra said...

I'm interested in The Wilder Life. It sounds like a good book. Happy reading!