Monday, April 18, 2011

Mailbox Monday: April 18

I know that I've been scarce around here, not telling all those stories that I promised to tell, but I have been reading, and as evidenced from my mailbox this week, the books keep on coming.

But before I share the books I received this week, I need to ask the booklovers for help!!

I'm preparing for 2 author Q&A posts, and I'd love to hear what you might want to know about them and what you'd want to learn from their expertise:
  1. Pam Allyn is the author of What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them and the brand new Pam Allyn's Best Books for Boys: How to Engage Boys in Reading in Ways That Will Change Their Lives.   What would you like to ask her about books and boys?
  2. Meg Cabot is the author of the brand new YA book Abandon, based on the myth of Persephone and Hades. What questions do you have for this prolific author?

So with no further ado, here's what I received this week (in addition to the two books mentioned above):

  • The Girl's Guide to Homelessness: A Memoir by Brianna Karp -- Since I enjoyed Breaking Dawn so much (the memoir of "Homeless to Harvard's , not the Twilight Saga), I thought I'd enjoy this one.
  • Parents Behaving Badly is a new novel by Scott Gummer about suburban life and culture, specifically in Little League. Since we're firmly entrenched in 6U baseball right now in the middle of suburbia, I could relate. This novel has been praised by Tom Perrotta, an author who has tackled similar issues in his novels as well as baseball great Cal Ripken, who is now chairman and CEO of a baseball league for kids.

And then on top of those, I received several unsolicited books from Harper Collins Childrens:

The Silver Bowl is a new historical fantasy by Diane Stanley, with fairy tale elements. It's the first in a trilogy, and sounds interesting.

I also received 3 books from the Warriors series from Erin Hunter:

My daughter never read these, but I wonder if they will appeal to my son in a few years. I'd love some feedback from those of you who have read them or if your children have read any of the different Warriors series.

Marcia at A Girl and Her Books started Mailbox Monday as a way for us to share about books that we've received over the week. It's on tour, and the April host is Passages to the Past.

I also want to call your attention to reviews I've posted over the last week:

Reviews with GIVEAWAYS:

Thanks for visiting and remember to let me know what questions you might have for Pam Allyn and/or Meg Cabot!



7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, interviewing Meg Cabot is very impressive! I wonder how she keeps coming up with ideas.

Parents Behaving Badly sounds interesting.

carolsnotebook said...

Looks like you got some good books. Enjoy!

My daughter (5th grade) is totally hooked on the Warriors series, and has been for about a year. She's getting the new one in her Easter basket. I think some of the boys in her class really like them too.

DCMetroreader said...

The Girl's Guide to Homelessness sounds like a compelling memoir!

Kay said...

I like the sound of PARENTS BEHAVING BADLY. Hope you enjoy all of them!

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

Parents Behaving Badly sounds like it would be a good read.

Amused said...

Oh my gosh you've got some great books in there. Happy reading!

Anna said...

I haven't read any Meg Cabot books so I wouldn't know what to ask her, but I'm looking forward to the interview!