Sunday, April 03, 2011

Mailbox Monday: April 4

Marcia at A Girl and Her Books started Mailbox Monday as a way for us to share about books that we've received over the week. It's on tour, and the April host is Passages to the Past.

Tell me what you think!

These are all review books that I received:

The Goodbye Quilt by Susan Wiggs -- a novel about a mother and daughter is usually a sure bet for me. This one deals with a daughter going off to college, which is going to be happening around here in just 5 years -- sooner than I know it.

The Complete Visual Bible -- I received this unsolicited from a PR firm. It's set up sort of like a dictionary, but instead of it being alphabetical, it's set up by each book of the Bible with specific items clarified with text and pictures. The pictures are paintings, photos, maps and drawings. This is a great resource for personal Bible study or teaching that I can't wait to use.

From that same firm, I also received REGGIE: You Can't Change Your Past, but You Can Change Your Future, which seems like an inspirational story of overcoming.

Jen Rouse, a blogger friend of mine, wrote to tell me about a book of essays including one of hers. Just Moms: Conveying Justice in an Unjust World looks like a great book to turn to glean advice from other moms. I'll be reviewing it on 5 Minutes for Books.

From Harper Collins Children's, I received Pony Scouts: Back in the Saddle (I Can Read Book 2) -- Does the horse craze really start that young?

Audiobooks

Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later -- came in a hot pink bubble mailer (I love it when the mailing has some sort of fun tie-in). For some reason I started listening to it right away.

I always try to remember to check out the free audiobook that is available each month at Christianaudio.com. April is offering Corrie ten Boone's The Hiding Place, so I downloaded that. The narrator sounds great. This will be a great way to revisit this story and perhaps to introduce it to my daughter.

Gotta keep reading!!

I published the following reviews over the last couple of weeks at 5 Minutes for Books:

Amazing Cows -- a book by Sandra Boynton for older kids.  Loved it!


This Child, Every Child -- a picture book about children around the world. There's a giveaway that's live right now, and people's response to this title has surprised me a little.

My post about Audiobooks and Errands has a giveaway for Sean and Leigh Anne's Tuohy's book (of The Blind Side fame).

17 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Lots of new books for you; most are new titles to me. enjoy

bermudaonion said...

I've got The Goodbye Quilt in my TBR too. I'm really looking forward to reading it even though I know it will make me cry.

DCMetroreader said...

I'm with you, mothers and daughters are one of my favorite topics (guess b/c I am both). Hope the Goodbye Quilt lives up to its promise!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Yeah Bermuda Onion--thinking about saying goodbye is tough!

Exactly DC Metro Reader -- we're all both! In fact one of my very favorite books is Every Mother is a Daughter, a memoir from a mother and a daughter.

Mary said...

I'm curious about The Goodbye Quilt. I've read a few of the author's novels so I'll watch for reviews. Have a great week!

Kay said...

I've got THE GOODBYE QUILT on my Kindle. Looking forward to it.

Corrie Ten Boom and THE HIDING PLACE - I haven't thought about that book in years. I read it when I was a teenager. Loved it. Thanks for sharing about it!

Kaye said...

Ooh, I love Susan Wiggs! Have a great week, enjoy your new books and happy reading. My MM is here

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries said...

What a great mailbox! I love the variety! Enjoy your reading week!

Mystica said...

A full mailbox. Hope you enjoy the reading week.

Tribute Books Mama said...

Looks like a great read week, enjoy.

stop and see mine and my giveaways.

Wendi B. - Wendi's Book Corner ~ Rainy Day Reads in Seattle said...

The Complete Visual Bible sounds amazing! I'd love to have that one show up in my mailbox. :)

Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

Wendi B. - Wendi's Book Corner ~ Rainy Day Reads in Seattle said...

PS - I'm your newest GFC and Networked Blogs follower!

Elizabeth said...

Good books....I like THE GOODBYE QUILT. :)

Stopping by from the linky on Passages To The Past.

Elizabeth
http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Aisle B said...

Going to tag the Goodbye Quilt sounds like a tearjerker.. love my tearjerkers :)

Jen Rouse said...

Thanks for mentioning "Just Moms!"

Also, I can't wait to hear what you think of that "Sweet Valley" book. I loved the Sweet Valley High books when I was in junior high.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

The Goodbye Quilt looks like it might have to go on my wish list. It does look like a book to read along side a box of kleenex.

Anna said...

I'm curious about Sweet Valley Confidential. I used to read the Sweet Valley High books when I was young, but I didn't read all of them and I can barely remember the characters. Enjoy your new books!