Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Mother's Day, from Kyle and Amanda

Our traditional Mother's Day picture -- 2011

On days like Mother's Day, Kyle tells me, "Remember, Mom, stay in bed.  Do not get up."  As I heard him telling Terry or someone, "Everyone knows that moms get breakfast in bed on Mother's Day."

Well, yes, theoretically, but since I wake up naturally anywhere between 6:45 and 7:15, laying in bed in a dark room where my husband is still trying to catch up on his sleep, waiting for some special surprise is not a treat for me.  Call me Killljoy.

However, I did agree to go into the study and shut the door and relax in the big leather chair while they "surprised" me.  I had suggested to Amanda the night before that all I really wanted was toast, since we would be having a big and early lunch right after church.

In typical Amanda-style, she made it cool and creative:



Kyle read me a special letter that they worked on at school.  "The speech" was part of it, so I don't know if the teacher encouraged that.  Here is the letter, corrected for spelling.  Kyle is a very sweet and loving child, and this is truly a gift.  I've made clarifications in the footnotes were necessary.

Dear Mommy,


Thanks you for school supplies, a great school, everything you buy for me, sometimes doing the silverware*, playdates, great trips, raising me, getting Shadow, adopting Amanda,** the great house, everything you get or do for me.


You are the greatest mom I could have.  I love you so much. I love your cooking skills.***


Your favorite child,****
Kyle

*unloading it from the dishwasher, which is supposed to be his chore
**Amanda is not adopted! I let him finish his "speech," and asked him if he knew what adopted was.  He said he didn't, and so I asked why he said that.  He said, "I just meant that I'm glad that I have Amanda as my sister."
***I'm pretty sure that this is just sucking up, especially since his eating of homecooked meals has been less than stellar of late.
****He read this will all seriousness, and Amanda wasn't even around to joke with about it, so I don't know whether or not to think that this is totally sweet or to be worried about it.

Amanda has another "special surprise" for me that she's working on.  I'll update if it makes an appearance.

I hope that you all had a lovely Mother's Day yourselves!  Did anything touch you or make you smile?

4 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

So nice to see that you had a great Mom's Day - lovely photo too.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Love the toast! And Kyle's letter is priceless! I especially like the adopter part. :)

Great picture too -- every time I see a picture of Amanda, I can't believe how tall she is!

morninglight mama said...

What a FABULOUS letter-- definitely something to be saved to look at years from now. :)

And honestly, how in the world does your daughter look like a grown-up??

Carrie said...

I BURST out laughing at the comments about adopting Amanda.

And speaking of Amanda- why is she looking so much older all of the sudden!? It's like she's growing up....