Thursday, May 26, 2011

Quality Time

Amanda's first Monster. She begged and I relented a couple of weeks ago, in honor of her Band lock-in which lasted until 11pm.

It hadn't been an easy day.  I had been on the go since 8:30 a.m., first to Kyle's school for field day, aimlessly following him around for a couple of hours on a warm windy day.  Then I had errands to do, so by the time I returned home, I was wiped out.

Amanda had a band concert, and her white long-sleeved button-down shirt was nowhere to be found.  She found it, but it was badly wrinkled.  I was trying to fix some sort of dinner that the kids could eat before we had to leave at 6:30 and was also encouraging her to study for her tests this week. 

"I don't really study," she said. "That's not how I learn.  I always do fine on tests."

She's right, and I understand that all too well, because until I was in high school, that approach pretty much worked for me as well.  But I reminded her that these were final exams, and she should at least read her notes.  She continued to argue with me, and by that point it became less about the fact that I thought she should study and more about the fact that I thought she should obey.

I yelled. She yelled.  It wasn't pretty.

She apologized for "overreacting" once she'd cooled down as she generally does.  I reminded her that sometimes she just needs to do what she's asked without questioning it.

We both moved on, attended the band concert, and settled back in once Kyle was in bed to zoom through the commercials and some of the performances on the American Idol finale that we had recorded.  We enjoyed watching it together, as we have all year.  When it was over, she got up and headed to bed, but not before coming over to me and hugging me.

"Thanks for watching American Idol with me.  It means a lot to me."

It means a lot to me too.  I'm thankful that the quality time that Amanda craves hopefully smooths over the not-so-quality moments of disagreeing and discipline and devil-mom yelling.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Again, why is she looking so much older?!!?

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Sweet. It always amazes me how quick they are to rebound from those tense moments and how they still long for that time with us... I hope and pray I don't squander that.

Did she like the Monster? I don't think any of us have even tried that stuff. It scares me...