Monday, May 09, 2011

What my kids have been reading

I used to participate in Kids' Picks each month at 5 Minutes for Books, and then we discontinued it for a time, but we've brought it back!

I know that people enjoy hearing what my kids have enjoyed, and I missed posting about it, so I'm glad that this scheduled reminder will cause me to take stock each month.

Kyle will be 7 this month.  His reading has just taken off this year.  His 1st-grade teacher told him that she was going to stop testing him, because he was reading on a 5th grade level now.  I'm not really sure about that, but I do know that he went from reading pretty well even at the beginning of the year to being able to READ -- like, anything.  As I've admitted before, just because he CAN read, doesn't mean he does read.  I am still challenged to put interesting reading material in front of him to entice him to spend time in the pages.

He spends a lot of time reading his National Geographic Kids magazine: in the car, when I make him turn off the screens and sit with me on the sofa, right after it arrives in the mail etc.

As for reading books, I ordered a short chapter book from Scholastic Book Clubs, hoping that he'd want to read it himself. Case of the Secret Sauce by Aaron Rosenberg fit the bill perfectly. Siblings Pete and Penny need to find out what the secret ingredient to their family's pizza sauce is so that they can keep their pizza business going while their parents are out of town. They end up finding a clue from their grandfather that has them doing mazes and cracking codes which helps them discover the secret to the sauce.

Kyle is reading this on his own a little ahead of me, but he wants me to read it aloud too, so that's the way it's working.

As for 12 1/2-year-old Amanda, in addition to become a vlog review star with her mom, she's been revisiting her audiobook of The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, in anticipation of the release of The Kane Chronicles, Book Two: The Throne of Fire.

The audiobook arrived today, and she already started listening to it (like her mama, audiobooks help her tackle that pesky task of cleaning her room). These are excellent audio versions, with different narrators (Kevin R. Free and Kathrine Kellgren) for Carter and Sophie. It's a finalist for the Audie Audiobook of the year -- only one of 3 titles, regardless of genre.  You can listen to the first 2 chapters of Throne of Fire HERE.

Find out what more kids are enjoying at the newly revived Kids' Picks carnival the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 5 Minutes for Books.

5 comments:

morninglight mama said...

JAM likes audiobooks, too, although he's often interrupted by two pesky little ones. :) He'll be excited to hear about book two coming out, too!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I read The Throne of Fire last week. I posted a teaser from it on my blog. I'm enjoying learning about Egyptian mythology.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I'm glad Kids' Picks is back!

C. still hasn't read Red Pyramid yet...maybe one of these days.

And L. is in a weird stage. He's getting too old/advanced for a lot of picture books, but not ready for chapter books. So it's a challenge. If I work hard, I can find good picture books that challenge and interest him...

Nancy said...

The Case of the Secret Sauce sounds like fun!

I can't wait to read The Throne of Fire. Kevin R. Free and Kathrine Kellgren are amazing narrators.

Jen Rouse said...

Fifth grade! Way to go Kyle.