Thursday, June 02, 2011

LA

Every time I visit Southern California, I am absolutely amazed at the climate.  On this June 2 day when Houston might reach record-breaking temperatures of 100, it is a breezy 67.  Perfect climate all the time. I'm not sure if one could get bored with perfection all the time or not, but I would think that one might long for something else sometime.


But the women here seem to acclimatized to it. They walk around with their straight hair, thin, tanned limbs, and large sunglasses.  They wear short shorts, and asymmetrical blousy shirts, one shoulder bared.  Unlike the women in New York City who are dressed in shades of black and charcoal wearing expensive heels, these ladies (girls, really -- no matter the age they are "California Girls") wear bright colors and patterns and flats, while probably equally expensive, they are much more comfortable.

I left my hotel, the beautiful Beverly Hilton, and walked down Wilshire Boulevard to the heart of Beverly Hills.  I was just walking.  It was a nice day, I got some exercise, saw some people, and enjoyed the sunshine.  I didn't even walk into Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus, or Lacoste, or Tiffany or even Guess.  I just walked.  I'm not really a shopper and had nothing to shop for and deep down I feared that I might get the Pretty Woman, "We don't have anything for you here.  Please leave."


While I was walking I saw two buses proclaiming why I'm here: Mr. Popper's Penguins.


We're seeing the movie tonight and tomorrow we'll get to interview the producer and director, Angela Lansbury, Carla Gugino, and yes -- Jim Carrey.  These things are always fun.  It's a roundtable so there's no pressure of "What if I don't have anything to say," or "What if my question bombs." I've interviewed quite an impressive list of stars*, and more often than not we end up sort of having a natural 20 minute conversation.  Pretty cool, huh?  But I have to remind myself that for most of these people being charming is part of their job (also, especially when standing beside someone like Jessica Alba, I have to remind myself that their job is also to be fit and beautiful).

*******

 I decided to make a page where I can link all of my interesting interviews, and I'll try to keep it updated.

*Celebrity Interviews

2 comments:

morninglight mama said...

I totally hear you about the window shopping-- I would actually be quite intimidated to go inside any of the stores!!

So glad you made the trip- now I'm looking forward to the pics!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Very cool.

I have yet to visit California at all! But it's on my list of "things to do someday." :)