Monday, June 20, 2011

Muffin Tin Meals -- Orange and White



I first saw the tip of using a muffin tin to serve meals to your kids a while ago, and though it's not a regular habit,  It's a really unique way to put some variety on the table in a way that might attract your children's attention.  It's also much easier to focus on solid proteins accompanied by lots of fruits and vegetables using the little compartments in the muffin tin, because our typical lunch plate easily gets filled by a sandwich and chips or crackers.

A friend recently posted a link on Facebook for Muffin Tin Mom that reminded me of this fun way to serve lunch.  Since we've been enjoying a lot of meals and snacks out on the patio by the pool, I decided that was a perfect setting to present Kyle with a nutritious lunch.

As I was putting it together, a color scheme unintentionally developed. The tin was orange (I love this silicon one with slightly deeper cups), and a few items I had already selected including the cantaloupe that Kyle requested at the grocery store last week were orange or white.  So instead of adding grape tomatoes or red grapes, I stuck with the color scheme.

My Orange and White Muffin Tin Lunch, for Kyle, age 7:
  • Pre-cooked cut chicken strips -- I had bought some of these for a party, and Kyle loves them. 
  • Cantaloupe 
  • Carrots -- I love these crinkle-cut bagged ones that I found on a recent shopping trip.
  • Cauliflower and orange bell peppers
  • Dip -- We absolutely adore the Hidden Valley Ranch Farmhouse Originals Hickory Bacon or the original Hidden Valley Ranch Light Dressing (I had stopped buying light or fat free dressings because they tasted fake and gross, but this light tastes as good as the original!). 
  • And as a fun treat, an orange bottled drink as well.
And yes, he ate pretty much all of it. He needed a refill on the dip, because he used it on his chicken and the veggies, and  he did leave some cauliflower behind, but how many 7 year olds eat cauliflower at all?
    What are some lunch items that are a big hit with you and your kids that go beyond sandwiches?

    Disclosure: I am a paid spokesperson and a proud member of the Hidden Valley Ranch Love Your Veggies Mom Panel, but as always my opinions are my own.

    4 comments:

    SnoopyGirl said...

    Your orange themed tin turned out really nice, especially with the orange pan to tie it all together.

    Carrie said...

    Oh yes, I've seen that before as well and think it's a great idea also! I've just never tried it. =) But I want to and I will sometime this summer. Thanks for the reminder!

    JDaniel4's Mom said...

    JDaniel would love all your orange foods!

    Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

    This is really clever! I like the muffin tin lunch idea. though coming up with all coordinated foods might be pushing it for this uncreative mom!