Sunday, June 12, 2011

One down, one to love



We're down a kid this week. Amanda left this morning right after church on a big Coach bus. She's at youth camp, where she'll be hanging out on the beach, getting closer with the other girls and leaders from church (hopefully), experiencing great worship and preaching, which will hopefully help make her faith real to her.

I miss her already.

But --

I have to be honest and admit how much easier it is to love my children well when we are one on one. I don't know if it's because they know that they have our full attention, or if it's the absence of the sibling rivalry and bickering, or what, but I do know that both Terry and I enjoy our time with our kids one on one.

So with Amanda off having fun, I've determined in advance to make sure Kyle has a special week as well. We already have a movie date, taking advantage of Cinemark's Summer Movie Clubhouse. You can't beat $1 for a movie inside a big dreamy air-conditioned movie theater, and we haven't seen the show for this week, How to Train Your Dragon.

We're going to try to finish our first summer read-aloud (The Penderwicks), do some more swimming, and who knows what else.

The point is that I'm going to try to take all that parental energy that sometimes gets frustrated with the shrieking and squabbling that happens, and to be determined to build up instead of (carelessly and unintentionally) tearing down.

5 comments:

Owlhaven said...

Have a lovely week! I also enjoy one on one with kids. This evening I took my 6yo for a walk, telling her we had things to discuss. She was delighted.

Mary

morninglight mama said...

Yes, that one on one time is so important (and elusive!). Happy week for Amanda, and for you and Kyle! :)

Anonymous said...

I love one on one time as well...something special about it! Enjoy the movie...it's one of our families favorites, even Parker:)
<3 Danielle

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I'm glad everyone gets it --

With the kids having different school start times, I actually have over an hour with Kyle before he leaves for school and over an hour with Amanda after school before Kyle gets home, and I think that's good. Amanda and I do our girly errands on the weekends, and she loves that, and I think that though I'm with Kyle all the time, we don't always make it special, so I've sort of hyped it up.

And having 6 days is definitely out of the ordinary. So we'll see!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

With my youngest still home most of the time (even during the school year), I still get lots of quality time with him, but I know that once both kids are in school full-time, it will take more work to have that one-on-one time. But I agree that it's so good. And yes, it's easier to really lavish love on them when it's just the two of you!