Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer Vacation Reads (What's on My Nightstand)

I started my summer break with a reading bang.  As things got busier in July, it slowed down a bit. As we head into our last few weeks of summer vacation, and have an upcoming driving vacation, I'm looking at what I'm hoping to get to in August.

Personal Reading:


I've been striving to keep some personal balance in my reading, and one of the ways I've wanted to do that is to use my Kindle more (for review reading when possible, but also personal reading). Several of my review titles are on my Kindle this month.

I also am trying to read a personal non-review book every couple of months.  I have to put The Book Which Must Not Be Named, because I've promised to read it so many times and haven't, but let's just say it's on my list, because Amanda has been rereading the series, so perhaps it will be a double-bang for your buck book if I bring it along and we both read it.



Another area that I have tried to beef up is my Christian non-fiction.  I downloaded Tim Challies' The Next Story: Life and Faith after the Digital Explosion to my Kindle when it first came out, and I would definitely at least like to get started on that this month.


Review Books:


Cold Case is a YA mystery by Julia Platt Leonard which is supposed to be a great adult read as well. Amanda and I are both hoping to get to it soon.


I loved Gwendolen Gross' novel, The Other Mother (linked to my review from long ago), and occasionally I would check amazon to see if/when she had a book coming out. I happened to check up on her again and saw that she had just published The Orphan Sister. I was happy to get a review copy in my hands quickly and can't wait to dig in!
 


I am in the middle of One Day by David Nicholls, in preparation for a conference call I will be on with him soon. He also worked on the movie, which is coming soon (If you have any questions, please let me know!) So far, it's an interesting way to tell the story of two people. I'm stumbling a bit over the British-ness of it (for some reason, British lit makes my brain work overtime).



The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by Jojo Moyes is also in progress (on my Kindle). It's excellent so far, and coincidentally also set in London (but it's easy to imagine it's America, so my brain doesn't hurt when I'm reading it).


Your Child's Writing Life: How to Inspire Confidence, Creativity, and Skill at Every Age by Pam Allyn is also on my Kindle. I can't wait to see if I can inspire my kids with the tips and tools I know she will provide. Look out for a giveaway on August 3 at 5 Minutes for Books.

The fourth Tuesday of each month, you can join the book-lovers at 5 Minutes for Books for What's on Your Nightstand. Post what you are reading, or find out what they are reading if you are looking for some ideas!

11 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Funny about the British setting hurting your head. Somewhat related, I break out in hives when I hear large groups of British children singing together. The musical Oliver! can put me in the hospital!! :)

Monica said...

I have to read British lit slower or I can't really take it all in. Looks like you have some really interesting books going on.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

You've had quite a month.

Here is mine

Trish said...

Sounds like a good mix you've got going there. The Orphan Sister looks interesting, and I see she has written several novels, so I'm hopeful to have found a new author to like!

Amy said...

I think that I want to read One Day before the movie makes it here. I am headed to check out the writing book.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Amy @ Missional Mama

Carrie said...

I just heard about One Day (saw the movie poster or something on someone's blog.) I like the cover art at least. ;D So let me know if I'll like the story!

Cassandra said...

Looks like a great list! Your Child's Writing Life sounds really interesting. Happy reading!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Very intrigued by The Orphan Sister, I look forward to seeing your review on it!

Nancy said...

I love British lit - I've learned so many fun phrases! It took me forever to realize that a garden in British-speak is just a backyard. :)

Lisa notes... said...

I’ve got to decide eventually if I want to give my old Kindle to my daughter and get a newer one for myself. It just seems like a hassle to go through, but might be worth it. Which is why I’m trying to decide if I should buy the hardcopy of “The Next Story” or get it on my Kindle. It just seems like such an appropriate book to read digitally. :-) I’m really enjoying listening to the audio version, but it’s one I want to return to and share which I can't do as easily on mp3s.

You’ve got a great list. Happy reading!

Beth said...

Your Child's Writing Life looks like a book I need. I will keep my eyes open for the giveaway!