Friday, August 26, 2011

What do you do when. . .

. . . your kids are at school?



I think that most kids have already gone back, with a few areas starting next week, and a few more after Labor Day, but even if they haven't gone back, you are likely making plans for those daytime hours that need to be filled.  I know I did!

For my first week without kids,
  • I have undertaken a project or two (not very effectively, but I'm hoping to finish my paperwork overhaul today)
  • I've had two lunch dates (the second is today actually, which might interfere with my ability to finish my project)
  • I went and saw a movie, alone (Check out my review at 5 Minutes for Books of the One Day movie).
So that brings me to you:
  • How do you fill those hours?
  • Do you (or did you) have special projects or fun planned for the first week back to school?
  • Do you see movies alone?  I didn't used to, and I could have easily found someone to go to this movie with, but honestly, I've seen a couple recently, and I like it. There's a movie theater 10 minutes away, so I can easily see a matinee while the kids are gone (if they are actually showing something else other than slasher films and bad boy humor flicks -- see my rant)
*****
Speaking of filling time and back to school, what about those of you who have kids off to college? Can you even imagine???  I just reviewed a fascinating book over at the Kirkus Reviews blog: The iConnected Parent: Staying Close to Your Kids in College (and Beyond) while Helping them Grow Up.  Fascinating read! Applicable to anyone with young teens on up.  Check it out.

    2 comments:

    Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

    Well, can't relate for another year... But while the youngest is in preschool this year (starting in 2.5 wks), I plan to run errands and get grocery shopping done (alone!), maybe work on some home painting projects I've been putting off...

    Though I've never gone to a movie alone, I do think I'd enjoy it, if it was a good movie. I also have no problem going to restaurants by myself.

    Carrie said...

    =D Well, that bubble bath sure looks like a relaxing and welcome idea....