Friday, September 23, 2011

Fall into Reading, 2011

When I did Katrina's first challenge, several years ago now, I made a commitment to read more books. I've always loved reading, but I realized I missed reading, since I was spending my time in other ways. Since then, I've become an online book reviewer at 5 Minutes for Books and 5 Minutes for Mom, the number of books I read isn't an issue.

Including reading chapter books aloud with my kids, which I try to do, I easily complete 4 or 5 each month, and often many more (especially if you take into consideration my love of audiobooks, which adds at least one to the total each month).

I do still have the same problem of buying books and not reading them, and continuing to push aside books that I really want to read.

So, for this challenge, in addition to many review books that I know I'll be reading, I am going to make a short list of books I'd really like to get to from my personal collection. I've done this before, and failed, but we'll see what happens.


There are more. Many many more. I'm not even putting Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) on the list because I've lost all my credibility in regards to that title, since it's shown up on so many of my What's on Your Nightstand lists or Fall and Spring Challenges. If I read it, I'll be shouting from the rooftops, but I'm not making any promises.

Also, want to commit to keep reading with my kids. I'm in the middle of two different books with Kyle and Amanda, and I'd like to finish those and read one more with each of them before fall's end (The Penderwicks at Point Mouette being one of them). If you want to participate in Katrina's Fall into Reading challenge, and even be eligible to win some prizes, check out her informational post. She's even made it easy for non-bloggers. You can also just browse through other people's lists (but be warned, you'll suddenly become aware of many books you HAVE to read).  

I invite you to subscribe to my feed, or follow me @jenndon on twitter. You can also subscribe to the 5 Minutes for Books' feed or on Facebook

22 comments:

Kristin said...

It's so great seeing so many people reading with their children.

Good luck with your reading list...I have a few of those books on my tbr list. My goal is to get 25 books done - a bit ambitious but I think attainable.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Your comment about the 7th Harry Potter made me laugh out loud. :) I do hope you get to it sometime... And The Book Thief too. That's a good one. Redeeming Love...another one that it seems "everyone" has read, but I don't think I have, yet, either. Thanks for always being part of these challenges -- and you were one of the ones who encouraged me to start them in the first place, so thank you!

Susanne said...

Love, love, love Redeeming Love. Hope you like it, too!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Oh I really want to read The Book Thief, I've heard such good things! I'm trying to read a handful of books that have been sitting on my bookshelf awhile also this fall - good luck with your challenge!

Lisa notes... said...

I have the same problems you do, buying books then not reading them, even though I really want to! That's another reason I love this challenge too: it helps me get to some of those books.

I reluctantly let my 16-yr-old read Redeeming Love last week. She absolutely adored it; it helped her see God's amazing love for us. So I was glad I relented. :-) (I was originally afraid it might be too "mature" for her.)

Harry Potter. ha. I'm trying too. We'll get there eventually.

Enjoy!

Nise' said...

I've been seeing a few of my all time favorite books on a few Fall reading lists. Hope they become favorites of yours as welll.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

"Redeeming Love" just arrived in the mail here from paperbackswap.com. I might just change my list already! LOL

Good luck, Jennifer! Long time no see! :)

kewkew said...

It's great that you read with your children. I want to continue to do so as mine grow older.
Enjoy your fall reading. And you really should get to HP 7 sometime. If you've read the rest. It was a great book. I think one of the best of the series.

Jenny said...

Love to hear that you're reading with your kids. That's something we all need to do more.

I'm also guilty of the buying/not reading books thing too...hope to get some of those taken care of on this challenge.

Blessings...and happy reading!

Amy said...

I always love seeing what you are reading. I should make a goal for chapter books with my kids too, good idea!

Amy @ Missional Mama

Barbara H. said...

I read Redeeming Love years ago -- probably should read it again some time. I have stacks of books I've owned for a while but haven't read yet. They keep publishing good new ones....

Sandra Stiles said...

Oh, a Francine River's book. I must put it on my list. Good luck with the challenge and your books.

Lindsay said...

hehe the Harry Potter book comment made me giggle! Have fun reading this fall!

Amy @ A Faithful Journey said...

I have Redeeming Love on my list as well! I have been wanting to read this book forever!!

Happy Reading! :)

alisonwonderland said...

The Book Thief is a very worthwhile read! I hope you're successful meeting your goals - and maybe even reading Harry Potter! :)

Amy said...

My sister recently read The Book Thief and she really enjoyed it. I haven't read Redeeming Love, but I want to! Great List!!!

Jimi said...

I hope you get to your list. I loved The Book Thief AND Redeeming Love AND Harry Potter #7. Also, we just finished reading The Penderwicks outloud and look forward to the next one. Happy Reading!

Shonya said...

Ooooh, I'm jealous you get to read Redeeming Love for the first time! What an outstanding book--she's an amazing author. Angel will become a part of your life forever now. And The Book Thief--wow! What a powerful book. HP--just fun! :0 ) I might be feeling just a wee bit jealous of your list! lol ENJOY

Tara said...

I also have a book or two that has shown up on my lists for a while now! Maybe this is my year! I love your list and "Redeeming Love" is one of my all-time favorites. Enjoy your reading!

Nancy said...

So I have a question on reading with your kids. Do they have required reading as homework? If so, how do you squeeze in reading with them? Or do you count when they are the ones reading aloud?

I'm curious because Alex has to read 20 minutes a night, 5 times a week, as homework. He doesn't like to read aloud though, so if I read with him, I'd be the one reading, and that would cut into his homework reading time. Plus there's the fact that Zach wants his own books read. I'd love to read with Alex more but just don't know how to find the time.

Lisa writes... said...

The Book Thief--an ALL TIME favorite!!!!!

As is Harry, all 7, but I'll refrain from mentioning such...

Carrie said...

(Playing catch-up on my Reader, can you tell?!)

Laughing about losing credibility after mentioning a title so many times. Oh how I know that. Not that I've ever done it, no ma'am.

The Book Thief. I really think I dismissed that one too early last time I picked it up. I have a feeling I overlooked something great about it. I'd kinda like to give that one another go.

I also think think it's so cool that this particular challenge is what got you back into reading. Hurrah for that! This challenge sure has taken you places!