Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September - What's on my Nightstand?

I love to read. I know that I needed to clarify that for some of you who think of me as an exercise junkie or a baker extraordinaire or a green-thumbed genius. Nope, I'm none of those things. I just like to read. What's that you say? I didn't need to clarify that for you? Am I that obvious? My nightstand has two parts. Part one are books that are currently 1/3 to 1/2-way finished. I would like to finish these:



In addition to mine and Amanda's read-aloud 13 Gifts by the understated-ly humorous Wendy Mass, shown above, Kyle and I are still working our way through The Secret Zoo. I am listening to The Distant Hours by Kate Morton on my ipod. It's a bookish gothic-type story, very similar to the Thirteenth Tale.

I've never read Ellen Hopkins' novels in verse, but I'll be getting immersed. I have Perfect, a YA novel, as an audiobook, and her first adult novel Triangles to read in this upcoming month.

I'm also looking forward to my first Marisa de los Santos novel Falling Together, and am quite intrigued of A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown, which is loaded on my Kindle.

I also hope to participate in the Maud Hart Lovelace challenge at A Library is a Hospital for the Mind (one of the best blog names ever!!). It's good timing, because the next book in the Mother-Daughter Bookclub series Home for the Holidays features Betsy-Tacy (and that will be mine and Amanda's next read-aloud)! I read some of the younger books I think, and I know Amanda read one or two, so at the author Heather Vogel Frederick's suggestion as the best tie-in to the new book, I will for sure read Betsy in Spite of Herself.

Find out what other booklovers are reading at the What's on Your Nightstand carnival at 5 Minutes for Books.

9 comments:

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Ohh great list! Very intrigued by Perfect and Triangles. And I am with you, reading is far more interesting to me than just about any other hobby!

Leigh Ehrhardt said...

Oh, Jennifer, Love Walked In, Marissa De los Santos first novel is one of my all time favorite books. Her writing is exquisite. I have her newest ordered and just waiting for it to release and download to my Kindle.

Lisa notes... said...

I love how you broke down your list. I have a stack of partially read books (but currently reading them), a much smaller stack of books I started but stopped, then the humongous unread pile that I hope to get to one day. ;-)

Nancy said...

Ooh I didn't know Marisa de los Santos had a new one out, I loved her previous books. The Distant Hours sounds intriguing too.

planetnomad said...

A group of my friends and i have read de Los Santos' previous two books and THOROUGHLY enjoyed them! Can't wait to hear what you think of her latest!

Hopewell said...

Thousand Lives is going right on my to-read list! "13 Gifts" sounds like one I may read too--I read children's and YA books as well.

Cassandra said...

Wow. I haven't read any of the books on your list! A Thousand Lives sounds really intense.

Trish said...

Great list! I really liked A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass, and I love Marisa de los Santos!

Carrie said...

I like the SPINE on 13 Gifts. Would I like the book!? ;D

Hurray for Betsy-Tacy this month. I need to get to that...