Sunday, January 01, 2012

My 2012 Goals

Yes, I'm intentionally not calling them resolutions. I don't know why. Perhaps it seems trite, and yet, here I am posting a list on my blog, which is just as expected and hackneyed. But somehow I like the idea of setting goals as opposed to making resolutions, though I do like this particular definition: A course of action determined or decided on.

Lately I've been plenty aware of my shortcomings -- how precious my time is, and how I'm wasting much of it -- and that leads me to make tweaks in my habits throughout the year, which is wise, but I can't let the calendar switch over to 2012 without aggregating some of those goals and yes, even dreams:

  • Reading: I posted some reading goals in the "On Reading" column at 5 Minutes for Books today.
  • Writing: Oh, I could say so much here about how I'd like to blog more, but it will fall on empty ears, because it is truly a hackneyed and trite thought. However, I'm setting a goal to write more this year. Learn to entice readers by refining your writing skills with a creative writing mfa degree. I started this blog as a place to write -- not necessarily to journal the trivial events of my life, but as a place to express my thoughts and pull them together in a somewhat organized fashion. Years ago, I think the blog served that purpose, but now it doesn't. So, some of this "writing" might appear on this blog (theoretically and wishfully about 3 to 4 times a week); some of it might be in the "On Reading" columns at 5 Minutes for Books. I might make steps towards a pie-in-the-sky dream of writing fiction by actually writing some fiction.
  • Doing: I am not gifted in the home arts -- cleaning, organizing, home finances.  All of that falls short. I'd like to set a goal of spending 2 hours per week on these activities. That can include meal planning, which I used to love but don't do so much anymore, or reorganizing a closet, or cleaning out a junk drawer. By the time I tackle all the "need to's," it will be time to hit them all again.
  • Running: Last year, I decided to be a runner. I tried. I floundered. I still had the desire, but I was frustrated. I'm going to give it another try, largely thanks to this book, which has given me some additional instruction and inspiration. I want to do this for general fitness, weight control, it's a hobby that Terry and I could share, and it's exercise that I could do pretty much year-round outdoors here in Houston.
  • Connecting: I don't want to use busyness as an excuse to crowd out people. There's no quantitative (or is it qualitative) goal attached here, but I know when I'm doing it and when I'm not. When I follow through with that instinct to call a friend or invite someone to lunch, I'm connecting. When I surf the net, go through a drive-through alone, or watch mindless TV instead of phoning a friend, I'm not.
  • Devoting: This is the word that's been in my mind and on my heart in regards to my spiritual life. I don't want to simply go through the ritual of church and Bible study and prayer. I want my life to be marked by devotion. Again, I'm not exactly sure what this looks like, but I think it involves a conscious effort to feed my mind with Christian teachings and writing, to respond to God when He guides me in a certain direction. I think that Christian music will help keep my focus on Him throughout my day to day life.
  • Accounting: I'd like to evaluate myself monthly or quarterly in these areas. 
Do you set goals? Do you have any words of advice or encouragement for me in any of these areas??
Disclosure: Some links within the post are affiliate or sponsored links.

5 comments:

Trish said...

I like goals better than resolutions, myself. Sounds like you'll be doing well even if you just start on them all!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like some great goals. The running book looks good. I'd also loke to do more running but, as you know, it takes EXTREME dedication to run year-round in New England. I don't have that kind of dedication, or a treadmill or the time to go to a gym. So for now I'm accepting that it's a "one day I'll get to it" goal. :)

Carrie said...

"Goal" is definitely a better word in my dictionary. ;) Going with the theme of choosing a word for the next year: I'd say mine is to be more self-disciplined. In the area of working out, practicing hospitality, eating well, reading, etc., etc., etc. The list is long but almost every single area needs some attention and self-discipline so that's my only goal this year.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great goals, and I like how you organized them, too. I sat down with a notebook the other day to work on some "personal planning" — thinking about all the things I'd like to fit into each day and/or each week. There's a lot, but if I can be disciplined (i.e., not lazy and not frittering away hours staring at the computer/Internet), I think I can make progress on many things. Just have to figure out how to get rid of that laziness.

Excited about your potential desire to write fiction. I've had several "inspirations" in that area lately…but not too sure I'll do much with them. It's always in the back of my mind, though…

I'll pray for you and for your goals this year. Looking forward to updates!

Ms. Yingling said...

See if there is a local Girls on the Run group and see if they need help. You can work up to a 5k with a group of 8-10 year olds! That kept me going last March, coaching cross country helped, and a treadmill is almost essential in the winter. Good luck on all of your goals!