Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Bitter Buds -- Do you have them??

I am not a science gal. I didn't excel in my high school or college science classes, but I always loved our genetics lessons. Increase your understand of humankind with a degree in biology.
Image from U of Utah, click for the whole study
Did you ever have to do the taste test for bitterness using the PTC papers? I clearly remember doing the taste test. Some people cringed in horror at the bitter taste, while others who tasted only paper looked at them like they were crazy.

The new study that I wrote about at 5 Minutes for Mom explored Why Don't Kids Love Their Veggies.  The study suggests that those bitter buds might be responsible for kids spurning vegetables, but the good news is that kids eat more vegetables when paired with creamy Hidden Valley Ranch dressing.

So how did my family react to the paper? I tried it first, and could taste it, but it wasn't overly strong. My husband didn't taste anything (and wondered what I was up to, looking at me like I was crazy or had just slipped him some poison-laced paper).

I tested the kids separately the next morning before school. My 13-year-old daughter tasted the paper and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked her if it tasted like anything.  My 7-year-old son licked it, made a face, and grabbed for his hot chocolate to wash the taste away.

Being the genetics nerd that I am, I figured out what that meant for my family. Since bitter taste is a dominate trait, it means that both Terry and Amanda are tt, recessive. I therefore must be Tt, and I passed along my dominant bitter taste gene to Kyle, also Tt.

Was I surprised? A little, honestly. Kyle and I are probably the biggest vegetable eaters in the family, so it definitely hasn't stopped us.

Be sure to check out that link at 5 Minutes for Mom for a cute dip vehicle as well. . . .

Do you have bitter buds? Do your kids? Does the fact they might change your insistence on them eating their veggies?

**Hidden Valley Ranch sent me the test strips to use with my family and report the findings. I am a compensated spokesperson for them, serving on their Parent Panel sharing my experiences and helping others Love Your Veggies. Some links within the post are affiliate or sponsored text.

1 comment:

morninglight mama said...

Wow, very interesting. I bet I am at least a Tt, if not a TT, and I'm sure that my kids are at least a Tt, too. I'd love to test the paper!