Monday, March 26, 2012

The Hunger Games Experience

I've shared my thoughts on The Hunger Games movie in a few places over at 5 Minutes for Books (including posting two interviews with the producer Nina Jacobson), and I hope you'll check out those posts, linked here within, but it's definitely been an experience.

In fact, I started a Hunger Games movie discussion post, which has been a lot of fun for me. After I saw this movie, I wanted to talk about it. I was more excited about this movie than any other I can remember. The hype fed into it, and I enjoyed being a part of the blockbuster opening weekend, although I'm not always one to jump on the bandwagon or play into the hype. I wrote "when a movie becomes a phenomenon" summarizing my thoughts about my experience from the books to the movie, and highlighting why I think some people are so disappointed.

 All the hype and anticipation, and of course seeing the movie itself renewed my interest in the whole series. When I read Mockingjay, I was disappointed, as many others were, but I thought that part of it was that I hadn't re-read Hunger Games or Catching Fire. Well, now I'm remedying that. I re-read Hunger Games (actually I technically read it for the first time). I'm about halfway through Catching Fire and plan to keep going until I finish the series.

 I liked the movie. I liked it a lot, but this little gem below -- I LOVE. In 11 minutes, they manage to tell the whole story and to include all the details that were left out from the movie. I thought they must have made it in specific response to that, but it first posted on their Facebook page before the movie was released.



Happy Hunger Games!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Ok, the Beanie Babies Hunger Games was AWESOME. (I also finally got to find out what happened!) As you know, I think the book is actually really awesome (just not as marketed to younger readers.) I don't think it's just "blind entertainment." Although that Beanie Babies version might be. ;)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Ha! Okay, the video made me giggle. Finally going to see the movie this Friday!!