Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Reading Thing, 2012

When I heard people saying that today was the first day of Spring, the first thing I thought of was "Ooops -- I gotta get my Spring Reading Thing post ready."  So -- a little late -- here we go:

A couple of my 2012 goals involved reading. In fact, I wrote an entire post just about my reading goals for 2012. I need to write an update on all of those, but I've done pretty well on keeping track of my reading, which was one of the things that I wanted to do, and I've also purposed to do more personal reading (not review books for 5 Minutes for Books), and I've done well with that as well.

So unlike months' past, I actually have a fairly good idea of some of the books I'll be reading over the next few months.

I love audiobooks! Here are a few in my queue (all for review):

  • Illusion: A Novel by Frank Peretti -- some of the early reviews I've read have criticized this book for its lack of Christian imagery, but I'm excited to check it out.
  • Out of Sight, Out of Time is the latest book in the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter that Amanda has been reading. I've wanted to check out Ally Carter, and Amanda likes audiobooks as well, so I think she'll like listening as well.
  • Ten Things I Hate About Me is another YA book for Amanda and me. Randa Abdel-Fattah writes about an Australian/Muslim girl (and I think she is/was one as well). Amanda's reading her first book now, which I got her when I knew this was coming, and she's really enjoying it.
  • I haven't read Harlan Coban in some time, so when I saw his new audiobook Stay Close, I was excited to try it.
And the fiction books on my pile for the next few months are ready and waiting as well:


Nonfiction -- I have quite a few of these actually in progress (the first 5 actually), and others I need to get on:

There will be more, and that sure seems like a big list to handle in the next few months, but we'll see how it unfolds.  See what others are trying to read at Callapidder Days' Spring Reading Thing.

7 comments:

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

That is a huge list with a lot of fun looking titles! Enjoy your Spring reading!

Susanne said...

Wow, I'm in awe at the number of non-fiction. I'm lucky if I get through one in a season! LOL.

I can't believe you haven't read Redeeming Love yet, Jennifer. I'd love to know what you think of it when your done!

Nise' said...

I am looking forward to Illusion too. Going to have to check out the Sarah Pekkanen novel, I love her.

SoCalLynn said...

Thank you for putting the links to the books, it makes it so easy to check out new-to-me titles.

Trish said...

I have to say I've been disillusioned (ha!) by Peretti since his sci fi series that read like a retelling of C. S. Lewis'"That Hideous Strength."

Redeeming Love is a great book - I always think Rivers goes a step beyond the depth of most Christian fiction. My absolute favorite in this genre is Jamie Langston Turner - if you've never read her, you might give her a try. I can't explain it, but her books always speak to me so much more than I think they will when I first pick them up.

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

What a great list! I never thought of including audio books! I love that idea! Happy reading (and listening!)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I really liked Lit. I picked up Quiet on Audible... And I'm curious about the Harlan Coben books. Some of his I love and some just hit topics that make me cringe. Will be curious to see if you like this one.