Monday, May 07, 2012

Kids' Picks, May


When I volunteer in the school library a couple of times a month, I spend time looking around for books, series, or authors that my 2nd grader Kyle might like. I suggest series or single books. Sometimes he accepts, and other times he scoffs.

This past month, I've hit the bullseye!

On a family trip to Half-Price Books stood out to me: I, Freddy: Book One in the Golden Hamster Saga. . I remembered these books being popular with Amanda and other kids when I volunteered at her elementary school library, and Kyle enjoyed reading about another hamster, Humphrey, so I thought we'd give it a try. He liked it, so when I was at our county library, I checked out another in the series of five, and he enjoyed it too.

While scanning the shelves, I noticed book one of a series called The Code Busters Club, Case #1: The Secret of the Skeleton Key, and to my delight, he enjoyed it too! I thought that there was more than one in the series, but in fact we have to wait until September for book 2.

But the jewel in my crown is getting him to actually pick up Niagara Falls, Or Does It? #1 (Hank Zipzer) by Henry Winkler (Yes, that Henry Winkler, aka the Fonz). I don't know much about Hank Zipzer. I haven't read the books and probably won't, but I know that they were popular in Amanda's day. I also know that there are over 15 slim volumes in the series, which is a good thing, because it ensures that he will always have something to check out at library time.

As for Amanda (13 1/2), she's still wanting to "read what she knows she'll like." She's re-read the entire Uglies series (definitely worth checking out if your teens like dystopian lit -- it's older but good!), and also re-read Divergent in preparation for the 2nd book Insurgent which I told her was coming out soon (and I just noticed released last week). We've also been enjoying our morning (over breakfast) read-alouds, to which I want to devote an entire separate post.


Check out what other kids are enjoying over at 5 Minutes for Books the 2nd Tuesday of each month. Link up or add to the discussion in the comments.

4 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Are the Code Busters books scary? My 2nd grader is hooked on Boxcar Children and I'm always looking for something similar.

Thanks for sharing, Jennifer!

Blessed said...

Have you read any of the Series of Unfortunate Events? The first few in that series were pretty good. I ended up reading them all (and gifting them to my non-reading teenage sister who actually read and enjoyed them) but found that the series became much too predictable as it went on. My sister, on the other hand, enjoyed the entire series.

Trish said...

Sounds like a good month for the kids. I still re-read the Little House books every other year or so, just for comfort!

Michael has been checking out the Clementine books and likes them although he has trouble understanding some of the social interactions.

Nancy said...

Don't you love when there's no scoffing? I've started Alex on the Spaceheadz books and he really likes those. I'll have to check out the Hank Zipzer books for him too.