Sunday, June 03, 2012

Change

"Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts."

I found that quote, attributed to Arnold Bennett, on BrainyQuote.com. Between my mom's unexpected cancer diagnosis, becoming my grandmother's primary caregiver after moving her from her home into a memory care unit close to me, as well as some major changes in some other important areas of my life, I've been undergoing a lot of change. I just wrote over on 5 Minutes for Books about how all of this even changed my reading habits.

I can bring some more depth to those words. I think that even a change for the worse, with the inevitable drawbacks and discomforts, results in some change for the better.
Romans 5:3-4: Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings,  because we know that suffering produces perseverance, character; and character, hope.
It's true.

I've suffered this last month, and it's probably not likely to end. But it doesn't feel like it's all bad. I want to control the outcome of everything, but I can't. All I can do is take it as it comes and yes, try to make the best of it -- or perhaps let it make the best of me.

(This might be one of the cheesiest music videos ever (aren't they all?), but the sentiment fits. I went through some stuff back in 2002 when the song first came out, and I got it then too, but sometimes we need a reminder. I'm hoping this time the positive changes stick.)

4 comments:

Livia said...

God is always there for you -- right on your shoulder. He'll guide you. I also wish I could control outcomes -- positive and negative. But it all comes to this - you gotta have faith in yourself.

Amy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your trials, Jennifer. I love that Sara Groves song, and I don't think it's at all cheesy (the video maybe but not the song!), I think she has such a way with words. My favorite line is "less like haunting, more like remember" because it's a place it took me a long time to get to about some things in my life.

Corinne said...

Thanks for the post, Jennifer. Your experiences and your faith are an example to others. Hang in there!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

What a good perspective, Jennifer! I admit I am not one to like change, but you are absolutely right -- God uses all the changes in our lives for His glory and for our ultimate good. I really admire you for your attitude and perspective in all you are going through right now.