Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Reading -- What's on my Nightstand

These first few weeks of summer have been golden as far as reading goes! I've been reading a lot more after slowing down some during a busy April and May.

I usually read for an hour or so when I first get up. My teen is still sleeping at this time, and I try to get my son to read for at least half an hour. It's a nice way to ease into the day.

It was one of my 2012 goals to read at least 12 books "just for me" -- my personal picks as opposed to review books (which I am still selecting and excited to read) -- basically one a month. I honestly thought I might be a little behind, but I just checked my spreadsheet (another goal -- to accurately keep track of the books I read), and I'm in the middle of my 7th book right now!

That book is Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus, which was recommended to me by a friend. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Other books I hope to get to include:
FICTION:
NON-FICTION
 Planes, Trains, and Auto-Rickshaws: A Journey through Modern India and finish Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking which is fascinating but is taking me a while to read. 

MIDDLE-GRADE and YA FICTION
I actually feel pretty darn good about managing my reading. I think I've kept track of what I have coming in, and I think I'll be able to get through these.

What about you? Do you need some summer reading ideas? Or do you want to link up your own to-be-read pile this month? Check out What's on Your Nightstand -- the 4th Tuesday of every month at 5 Minutes for Books.

8 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I've heard both Quiet and Not a Fan were good but I haven't read them. Maybe some day.....

Carrie said...

Quiet sounds VERY intriguing! I think I had heard of that one awhile back (sounds vaguely familiar) but had forgotten all about it. I think, being an introvert, I'd rather like to read that one!

I totally forgot about Nightstand until this morning!!! (GAA!!) Whipped up a quick post though because WHO wants to miss NIGHTSTAND!?

April said...

The Quiet book sounds interesting, but I'm not an introvert-haha. Maybe I should read it and stop talking!

Nancy said...

I'm trying to be better about personal reads too, it's so hard when there are so many good review books!

Lisa notes... said...

I've wondered if "Not a Fan" is good. Glad you're liking it so far. I do remember that "Quiet" was long, but good! I kept getting insights into my personality in it. :-)

morninglight mama said...

Sadly, the mornings around here start a lot earlier than I'd like, so by the time I get up, the kids are already raring to go. :)

Bluerose said...

The Storm Makers and Madhatten Mystery both look really fun!

bekahcubed said...

Yay for "just for me" reading. I honestly don't know how you do it. Pretty much the moment I accept a review copy, I start to regret it. There's so much *pressure* to have to find something worthwhile to say about a book that you accepted as a review copy. With the rest, if all I want to say is "Supposed to be humorous; wasn't--meh" then that's exactly what I say--and nothing more.

Your fiction list is looking particularly intriguing to me--especially Can I get an Amen? and Finding Emma (although I fear either could do a serious work on my emotions--in completely different ways.)