Saturday, September 22, 2012

Fall Reading Goals

So apparently today is the first day of fall, and thus the first day of Katrina's Fall Into Reading Challenge.  Since I'm a book reviewer (at 5minutesforbooks.com), it's been hard for me to make lists, because I don't know which books are going to land on my doorstep and that I'll be reviewing 3 months from now.

That said, I've also made a goal for 2012 to read more books "just for me." I set a goal of 12, roughly equivalent to one per month, and I've read 8 so far. I'm also in the middle of 3 that are also "just for me" picks, so I don't think I'll have trouble reaching the goal. That said, the spirit of the law was not to finish them as quickly as possible, but to make time for reading for myself, specifically within the realm of Christian non-fiction. At least half of the titles have fallen in that category, as are the 3 I'm reading now.

Why am I reading 3 books right now? Well, because I'm weird, I guess (and to be honest, I'm really reading FIVE books right now). The 3 personal books I'm reading now are on my FiRC list to finish:
On top of those books, I'm reading a novel and a project memoir (both for review, so I won't mention them here). So that makes five, and it doesn't sound THAT weird, right? In addition to finishing those three, here are a few more personal goals:

  • The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie was also a DotMom swag bag goodie. I've been wanting to watch the movie, so I might as well ruin it thoroughly by reading the book first, right?
  • I was thinking that I needed a good personal pick in the Middle Grade/Young Adult range, and though anyone who's followed me is tired of hearing this goal, I think I'll actually finish up the Harry Potter series. Yes, I've read the first six, and in fact finished the 6th at least 3 years ago. So I'm putting Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on my list (AGAIN -- though to be fair I've left it off for the last year or so). Since HP is now available on the Kindle, and are part of the free lending library for Prime members, I'll probably forgo the tattered paperback (that my daughter has read at least twice), and use my Kindle Fire.
  • Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God's Everything by Anonymous -- I had seen this book while browsing amazon just last week, and lo and behold it too was in my blogger goodie swag bag from B&H Publishing, so I'm definitely going to read it. Check out the cover. You can't beat that:


So, take a minute to link up your own list and link it up at Callapidder Days. *****
I invite you to follow me on twitter @jenndon or subscribe to my feed

11 comments:

Pattie said...

I would dearly love to be at DotMOM because two good friends of mine are there and I miss them so much. I've got Jen Hatmaker's "Seven" on my list too...

alisonwonderland said...

I don't think you're weird at all. I've always got at least four books going at the same time! (People sometimes ask how I can keep them straight, but I don't think it's that different from watching several television series at the same time.)

Happy reading!

Carrie said...

Good for you for reading the book before watching the movie. ;D

And now we can swap thoughts on Embracing Obscurity.

Barbara H. said...

I've got four going at a time, mainly because they are in different places or venues.

It sounds like it is very profitable to go to a DotMom conference!

Embracing Obscurity sounds intriguing.

Elizabeth said...

Craig Groeschel is our pastor, and I'm sure his writing is as powerful as his preaching! I read 7 last spring, and it messed with my heart much more than my mind, in a completely good way. You'll enjoy it.

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Good luck with your challenge! Looks like a fun list!

Lisa notes... said...

I totally understand the "reading many books at one time" thing. It's the best way to read. :-)

The three personal books each sound great. I'll look forward to what you'll share about them.

Embracing Obscurity is one I need to put on my list.

Love your list, as always!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh my goodness, would you just finish Harry Potter already? :)

I've heard lots of raves about 7, and have thought about reading that one. I have Soul Detox on my Kindle, but haven't read it... And now you have me curious about Embracing Obscurity. But mostly, I really want to know who the author is!

Thanks for joining the challenge, Jennifer. :)

Cassandra said...

Your three personal books sound really good. I'll be adding at least one to my to-read list! ;)

Happy reading!!

dianne said...

YOur list sounds great. I heard Craig at a leadership summit a few years ago (if i recall correctly). I think his books would be equally interesting. I'm with you on Harry Potter, btw. Still slogging through them!

Michelle said...

I'm so impressed that you have a list. I'm much more random in the "what can I find that strikes my fancy today" reading. I read the Deborah Harkness sequel, which was a goal, although I was a little disappointed in it compared to the incredible first book. And I will read the new JK Rowling book - and not just because I have first edition hard cover of the Harry Potter series ;) I don't like to read more than one book at a time though... I'm impressed that you have five going at once!