Friday, September 21, 2012

Wrong Words



This is one of those songs with which I just can't help singing along:


Oh, I'm running to your arms; I'm running to your arms.
The riches of your love, will never be enough.

Wait -- scratch that. That doesn't sound exactly right. In fact, it sounds exactly wrong if I'm singing about the sufficiency of God's love. I don't know why, but I've always sung it incorrectly. The "never" naturally comes out of my mouth.

As you probably know, and can hear in the video of the song above, the correct lyrics go something like this:


Oh, I'm running to your arms; I'm running to your arms.
The riches of your love will ALWAYS be enough.
Nothing compares to your embrace.
Light of the world, forever reign.

I've had to sort of train myself to stop singing the wrong words. And when I sing them -- so loudly and without a shred of shame (or dignity) -- usually in my car, alone -- and yet so incorrectly, so opposite of their intent, it makes me think.  What do I really believe? Do I really believe that nothing compares to the riches of God's love? Is it enough? I hope it is, and hitting that "always" hard, with conscious effort, reminds me, that yes, it's always enough. Always means always: through loneliness, through busyness, through uncertainty, and disappointment.

It also means it's always enough, and incomparable in the light of success, and riches, and friendship, and personal hopes and dreams.

I know I didn't do it consciously, so I'm not going to over-analyze the opposite-inducing effects of singing the wrong word. In fact, I think I used to sing the whole line incorrectly as "The riches of this world will never be enough," which is in fact a true statement, or should be anyway.

The point is that when I saw a wrong -- in my sung theology in this case -- I corrected it. It took effort, but I did it. For me it was obvious. I was singing the exact opposite of the Truth. But I think there are other ways that we find ourselves forgetting Truth, forgetting who we are. And because they are so deeply ingrained into our culture of self-sufficiency and self-importance, they are harder to recognize and correct.

*****
I invite you to follow me on twitter @jenndon or subscribe to my feed

4 comments:

Trish said...

Love, love this song, but I have sung the words exactly the way you did a number of times! I think for me it reflects how often I say "never enough" about myself or even about other people, so it just flows out more easily. Maybe getting it turned around the right way here will help me focus on the positive side with other people more too!

Trish said...

Wow, that last comment took 4 tries - I guess I can't see as well as I used to!

Carrie said...

Good words about the need to correct our theology. I've done the same thing with songs before and have to stop myself. You're right! It's a little picture of a large responsibility we have to test ourselves and make sure we're holding onto and believing truth.

planetnomad said...

What is it with singing wrong words to songs? And the words are (usually) right there in front of us, projected on the screen! I do this too.