Monday, September 17, 2012

You've Just Invalidated My Entire Existence

Last weekend the kids and I were enjoying what will probably be one of the last swims of the year. We were just floating and chatting a bit. Kyle summed it up nicely by saying, "We're just having relaxed family time. I like that," as if we are generally uptight and rigid.  But anyway. . . one of the benefits of spending quiet times like this, as well as those many hours in the car going to and fro, is that kids tend to talk.

Somehow we ended up talking about Amanda's future. I think I made some sort of reference to the fact that she had joined Key Club and Speech Club, which happened to be the same things her mother joined.

"Well, I'm not going to be an English teacher like you. Or just a Mom for my job."

I responded quickly, "You've just invalidated my entire existence."

We both laughed. Though she was firm in the conviction behind her statement, she wasn't being mean. We've had this conversation before. And besides, she's a teenager.  She has to develop her own identity.  I think the first step in doing that involves seeing herself as completely different (not to mention wiser, but time will change that!).

1 comment:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Ha! Well, considering I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, I say there's time to do all kinds of things…and to change our minds as desired.

I affirm your existence. You are a fantastic "just a mom." :)