Monday, November 05, 2012

We Loved Wreck it Ralph


My 14-year-old daughter was dying to see this movie (perhaps because of the Owl City song attached to it? ** See update below). I was going to take her and her friends, and so I asked my 8-year-old son if he wanted to go with me. He did.

I didn't know much about this movie. I'm not that interested in wrecking. I knew it was Disney, but didn't realize that it was John Lasseter. I'm always a fan of Pixar movies, so knowing who was behind it increased my interest.

It started off in an arcade 30 years ago, and quickly fast-forwarded to today, when the game Fix-It Felix, Jr. is still going strong and about to celebrate its 30th anniversary. The problem is the Ralph is tired of being the bad guy, the one who always wrecks things. But the game characters (who come to life after the arcade closes) don't even want him around, and he's tired of it.

If he gets a hero's medal, they'll treat him right, so he goes into a different video game in the off-hours to earn one.

The story is fully developed and really wonderful. The message -- of being a true hero, figuring out who you are -- is uplifting but not at all didactic.

We all three loved the movie. It's probably one of my all-time favorite animated pictures.

CONTENT:  I didn't hear any swear words, which I appreciated. The "sexualized" humor that always seems to crop up unnecessarily in children's movies was mostly absent. There is a little love story (between two animated characters), and they kiss twice, which caused audible groans from the boys in the theater.

The violent content wasn't too bad either, considering that much of the movie takes place in video games, including a shoot-em-up commando sort of game, Hero's Duty. It didn't seem intense to me, but there are several scenes featuring cartoon violence (think about typical Looney Tunes fare).

The only content that people might choose to avoid, especially for younger viewers, is the potty talk. There's a whole riff on the name "Hero's Duty" as "Hero's Doody." Just as the kissing caused groans, these jokes definitely caused loud laughs.

Have you seen it? Did you love it? +++++ Updated 11/5: I was just sent a link to the Owl City video:

4 comments:

Kristen said...

My husband took our kids when I had a girl's night out. I was actually a little disappointed since this looks like one of the better kid movies to come along in a while.

Lauren said...

I have heard nothing but great things about this movie, and we are really looking forward to seeing it! We are 99% sure it will be playing on our Disney cruise in December, so we are holding out until then, but I can't wait to enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to be!

Carrie said...

I'm REALLY curious about this one so I was glad to hear that you liked it. I haven't read any reviews of it. From the content you mentioned here, I think we could watch and enjoy it. Jonathan and I are trying to find a night to go and see it first before taking the kids though.

I'm going to try not to think about Lauren's Disney cruise. :D (Although Disneyland is in the works for our Christmas travels as well.)

Nancy said...

We saw it last week while in NJ, and really enjoyed it. Loved the old video game references, and the concept of the characters leaving the games at night was clever. Cute movie for sure.