Monday, January 21, 2013

What's on My Nightstand this month

I enjoy this monthly opportunity to make some reading goals for myself. I've been feeling

I am a round 2 judge for the Cybils, so I have a few books that I'll definitely be reading this month:
  • Chomp - This is my first novel by Carl Hiaasen. I'm almost finished with this one.
  • Liar & Spy - I loved Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me (linked to my review), so I'm pretty sure this one won't disappoint.
  • Wonder has received a bunch of buzz, and even before it was selected as a finalists, I had downloaded it to my Kindle hoping I'd get a chance to read it soon.

The thing I love about reading Middle Grade novels (well, ONE thing) is that I can generally get through one within a couple of reading sessions. It's so satisfying! So getting through the 7 finalists in about 6 weeks is no problem at all. Here are some other books I'm hoping to get to for upcoming review:
  • I'm about halfway through The Tragedy Paper, a YA book that I'm thoroughly enjoying.
  • I've loved everything I've read from Jennifer Haigh, so I definitely wanted to read her new book of interconnected short stories, News from Heaven: The Bakerton Stories.
  • I'm so happy to be a part of the Sony VIP Reader program, and in February, I'll be able to be a part of a live bookclub chat in LA with author Michael Connelly on The Black Box (A Harry Bosch Novel).
  • Fuse is the sequel to Pure (linked to my review). It comes out about this time next month, so I may or may not get to it before next month's Nightstand.
  • I've also received some unsolicited review copies that look great, so I'm hoping to get to at least one of them: The Typewriter Girl and Crossing on the Paris.
I've had The Fruitful Wife: Cultivating a Love Only God Can Produce sitting on my shelf for a month or two, and Carrie's enthusiastic endorsement has made me look forward to it even more. I'm reading through this with a good friend, which I know will help me get even more out of it. Find out what other people are reading the 4th Tuesday of each month at 5 Minutes for Books' What's on Your Nightstand.

14 comments:

Susan said...

Seems like I've read several good middle grade novels lately. There's a surprisingly (to me) large amount of good stuff out there -- maybe it just tends to surprise me since the stereotype is Twilight and all that. Generally one of my girls reads a book and recommends it to me -- one of the joys of parenting teens :) I'm excited to hear about the Stead book as I, too, enjoyed When You Reach Me.

Janet said...

That's something I like about middle grade novels too -- being able to get through them quickly. There's definitely a place for them in my reading rhythm!

Lisa notes... said...

I think it's great that your read and review Middle Grade novels. Such a wonderful service to provide to others, as well as enjoyment to yourself. :-)

bekahcubed said...

I'm glad to hear that Rebecca Stead has written another book. I echo you and the others in stating my enjoyment of When You Reach Me. I'll have to get connected to my new local library and see whether they have this new book :-)

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Great list, they all look really fun! I have a tendency to read a lot of YA / middle reader books myself. :O)

Lisa of Hopewell said...

I also loved "When you reach me...." might look for the new one.

Carrie said...

Yes, that is a satisfying aspect of middle grade fiction - finishing it relatively quickly. (Among other things.)

Nancy said...

Wonder is a great book, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and I'm not at all surprised it's a finalist for the Cybils. I haven't read anything by Carl Hiaasen either but would like to. And yes, a definite benefit of Middle Grade novels is the relative speed of reading them!

Cassandra said...

It looks like you've had a good reading month! I hope February is just as good!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I enjoyed all the Cybils finalists (with maybe the excpetion of Fourmile, though I don't think I can say I didn't ENJOY it, though enjoy isn't the really the right word). I think I'm ruined for reading anything much longer, though honestly, after Les Mis, I needed a break.

I've enjoyed being a round 2 judge this year, and I'm looking forward to the announcement of the winners!

Paige Bacon said...

Must say the YA books are rapidly becoming a favorite for me as well. I have several nieces that ask me all the time for books.

Hopewell said...

I saw your comment on my blog. If you like Downton Abbey you will likely enjoy the posts before my Nightstand post--one is non-fiction "Did a Royal Romance inspire Downton's Anthony and Edith," one is humor "If Downton was a law firm," and then there's the synopsis of my version aka Fan Fiction! http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com/

Beth said...

Oh, I've had The Fruitful Wife sitting on my shelf just waiting, too! Have fun reading!

Kara said...

Great list! I'm with you on the YA books. So fun! I've had The Fruitful Wife sitting in my "to-read" pile for several months now too...I'm looking forward to reading it, but it keeps getting preempted. I need to just dive into it!