Tuesday, March 25, 2014

What I'm Reading Now

I had sort of given up on writing up my own post for What's on Your Nightstand at 5 Minutes for Books for a few reasons.
  1. I haven't really been blogging much here, since I've been writing more at 5 Minutes for Mom and of course reviewing at 5 Minutes for Books, but with a brand new post yesterday, I thought, "Why not keep up the trend?" (you can read my post about how a sweet video memory of my daughter has encouraged me to Remember What is Important).
  2. I am often bogged down by books to be read and don't want to take the time to figure out which books I am going to read this month. I've remedied that by changing the way I do it. I'm not going to stress out about it by focusing on books that I am reading right now, which will simplify it somewhat.
  3. I'm lazy?!? That one applies to so many things that I would like to do but do not. I'm trying to simplify (thus, no lovely pictures) and yet still share what I want.
Currently Reading:
  • God is Just Not Fair -- a friend forwarded me a devotional this morning written by Jennifer Rothschild, and it mentioned that her book published today, so I clicked over to amazon and immediately ordered it for both of us! They didn't have any print copies for some reason, but the Kindle is a great price, so I have it right now, and am going to dig in today.
  • Nerd Camp 2.0 -- Elissa Brent Weissman's book Nerd Camp is one that Amanda and I loved so very much that I nominated it for the Cybils award that year, and I was delighted that it won! Kyle and I are reading this one aloud and enjoying it.
  • Mouseheart -- This is one I requested for review from Amazon Vine because it was described as a mix of Redwall and the Warriors (which is one of the series that Kyle absolutely loves). He's acting disinterested, but I'm reading it anyway. It's good so far.
  • Smart Money, Smart Kids by Dave Ramsey and his daughter Rachel Cruze -- I'll be featuring this over at 5 Minutes for Mom, but it's a topic that I am pretty passionate about and yet know I haven't done my best at training up my 15 year old and 10 year old kids in the way they should go in regards to money.
  • Strong Motion by Johnathan Franzen -- This is typical Franzen, long and full of biting social commentary. It's on my ipod, so I listen when I can.
Up Next:
  • Always Emily -- When I lived in Connecticut, I attended a book launch party at Michaela MacColl's house for her first book Prisoners in the Palace. I loved it (and still highly recommend it -- a great book with an upstairs/downstairs Downton-esque theme). I also enjoyed her novel, Promise the Night about aviator Beryl Markham so when I saw that she was publishing a new one about the Bronte sisters, I knew I'd want to read it.
  • Until You're Mine -- This is described as psychological suspense, which I really enjoy when it's done right, so I think when I do pick it up, it will be a quick read, even though it's rather long. I hope so.

5 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I've got to check out your Michaela MacColl reviews. I loved her Dickenson mystery that I read!

Carrie said...

My FIL is a big fan of Dave Ramsey but I haven't read anything by him myself. (I've watched a video of one of his seminars with my FIL - "for fun". :D ha!) I would like to pick up at least one of his titles at some point and give it a go.

Always Emily also sounds intriguing.

Well, even if you don't blog around here much, it's fun to read a Nightstand post THIS month! :D

Hopewell said...

I like the sound of Mouseheart and Nerd Camp!

Lisa notes... said...

I've heard of God Is Just Not Fair and was intrigued by the title. I'll look forward to what you think to help me decide if I should look further into it myself.

Barbara H. said...

Always Emily sounds interesting. I just ordered the free "sneak peak" for the Kindle.

I haven't read Dave Ramsey but my youngest had a high school class based on his books and loved it. I wish I had a book like that when my older two were younger.

God Is Just Not Fair sounds good.